Interior lights

Shnalla

I bought a tachometer that had LED lighting. This was something I wanted to avoid, and there was no mention of it when I ordered...but there it was printed on the box when it arrived.

Before I opened the box, I called their service dept and asked if it would be dimmable. (I had a cheap LED tach before and it was always too bright).

The tech said if my dimmer switch controlled the Positive (+) side, it would be dimmable, but if the dimmer switch varried the ground side, it would not.

It happened that full bright perfectly matched the dim stock dash lights, so I wired it to the ign terminal and it runs full bright whenever the key is on, so I can't say if they dim or not.

It has been my experience that an LED will run at full brightness in a small given voltage range, and when the voltage drops below that range they simply go out. If you have ever owned an LED flashlight, you know they give no warning as the batteries get low...they just suddenly stop working.

If they have an LED that is dimmable, I'd like to hear about it.

If they have an LED that is dimmable, I'd like to hear about it.

Mark, technically, they ARE dimmable, you just don't see the same range of intensity variation as you do with incandescent bulbs.

The LEDs I purchased and completely populated my instrument cluster with were NOT advertised as "dimmable". However, they DO ACTUALLY vary in intensity (dim) a small amount when the headlight switch is turned lock to lock. I would estimate that they vary less than half their intensity and then suddenly go completely out at the end of travel.

Here's a quote from the Superbright web site Notes section:

If I install LED bulbs in the dash, will the dimmer still work?

Yes, LED bulbs will dim with your dash light intensity control.

So, now you've "heard about it"! grin

Pulse-width modulation.. not all LED lights can be dimmed. Reduced duty cycle = reduced average current/power = reduced apparent brightness. At one time we couldn't even control the rapid duty cycle. Home dimmers are made with electronic circuitry which suppress current flow during defined portions of each cycle of AC line voltage. With home lighting and special dimmers it can be achieved, although just like with fluorescent lighting with low frequency drive voltages LEDs will flicker. I've never tried using our headlight dimmer as a LED dimmer? If it works I doubt it would dim them 0 to 100%, full-range dimming from what I've seen has to be matched, with a dim-able LED and the right dimmer. Of course this is all home use.. wink

I completed the LED swap for my entire dash with the superbright dimmable bulbs. They are not entirely dimmable as everyone has mentioned. they go from bright to somewhat dim to off. I want to give this disclaimer before passing judgement on them... my headlight switch has a short in it which causes the dome light to come on at different places while rotating it so I cannot say for certain one way or the other--due to the faulty rheostat. Before the switch started acting up I had only 4 LED's installed and they were completely dimmable throughout the range of the headlight rheostat, but even with that information one cannot entirely rule out the scenario where the LED's were going from on to off and the incandescents were working as advertised. Clear as mud for everyone?

The LED's I installed in my original dash would dim very little then go out completely. And that was with a new headlight switch. The gauges I used when I built my custom dash where Autometer and they don't dim at all. It's either off or on. At night it can be a little bit on the bright side but I've adjusted to it. Still better than the original dash with very little light.

Scott how many LED's do our Monte's take? I have looked at a couple of web sites but none of them tell me how many LED's I need. I have the dash pad off of my 72 for the new radio install and would like to freshen up the lighting some.

Larry,

I ordered a package of 20 LEDs for my dash conversion and installed 15 with 5 spares. They are cheaper in volume and I wanted them all to match in color and intensity.

I tested all of them and, amazingly, they all worked. Mine only have 8 LEDs per "bulb" but the intensity seems just right - brighter than 168s but not too bright. Wish I'd done it sooner ...

I have already passed this information on to Dan via a phone conversation, but if anyone else is interested in the source of the LEDs shown in my photo journal ( Full Gauge Dash Upgrade ) , it is listed below.

PC154368.jpg

NOTE: Although I included a quote from Superbright in my post regarding dimmability of LEDs, I did NOT get my LEDs from Superbright. I ordered them in a bulk package of 20 from Zone Tech via Amazon.com (and saved a lot of money in the process). Here's the product information from my Amazon invoice:

Zone Tech 20x 194 168 2825 5-smd White High Power LED Car Lights Bulb

Sold by Amazon.com LLC

$16.99

Item Subtotal: $16.99

Shipping & Handling: $3.23

Super Saver Discount: -$3.23

Total Before Tax: $16.99

Shipment Total: $16.99

Paid by Visa: $16.99

I ordered these on Wednesday, November 28 and received them on Saturday, December 1 via USPS. I actually installed 15 LED "bulbs" in my dash and have 5 spares. You can easily pay $5 or $6 A PIECE (plus shipping) for these from Superbright and other LED specialty suppliers.

I ordered WHITE because the '70 gauges already have green flourescent markings and numerals which produce a soft green glow with white lights. Each "bulb" has 5 LEDs and gives a brightness greater than 168 bulbs but not excessively bright. You can get an idea of the brightness in the photo below.

PC174432.jpg

As you can see, the LEDs directly behind the red generator light and the blue high beam light appear much brighter than the gauge lighting which is indirect "backlighting" using exactly the same LEDs in all sockets.

PC174427.jpg

A final note, these LEDs plug directly into your current sockets which take 194/168 style bulbs. If your instrument cluster is missing some sockets (mine was), you can get them through Advance Auto and probably other parts suppliers. BE SURE to get the older style with 5/8" diameter twist-lock bases because they may try to sell you the newer 1/2" diameter base sockets that they have in stock but don't work (ask me how I know frown ).

• 3 years later...