Michigan Monte Meet

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I hear a loud squeal, see a big puff of smoke come out the front of my hood and make a quick stop on the side of the highway. Figured it was the AC comp belt, the bearing on the pulley hadn't been sounding so good and was a possible time bomb. One more thing to fix frown , never ending, oh well at least it didn't stop me from making it to lunch with the crew.

So im sitting on the side of the highway wishing I had a knife to cut the belt off, thinking maybe someone will stop & see if I need help and they would just happen to have a knife, yeah right. Take a quick assessment of possible tools on hand - a lighter, phone and car keys. What would McGuyver do? Sawing through a belt with a key was actually easier than I thought it would be! Only took about a minute & I was back on the road. Belt was so hot it melted & fused to my crank pulley when I shut engine off. I had to rip it off the pulley pulling pretty danged hard. I'll tell you what, its pretty nerve racking sitting on the shoulder of the highway working on your car with traffic going by 80mph+ shock

Heres a few pics too

IMG_20130928_163709_zps18be526f.jpg

IMG_20130928_163739_zpsfb9492e3.jpg

That was a fun day. Nice meeting everyone. I made it back to the campground just in time for the evening activities. About the time we got to I-75 and M 15 "gen" light started peeking on while I was on the throttle and would go off when I let off. Guess that will be a post for "what did you do to your Monte today

it would have been great if you could have made it too Bruce smile

I was talking with the guy who organizes the show in Ortonville, I'm going to work on putting together another one next year, it's always the fourth Saturday in September and it runs from 9:00am to 5:00pm and see if I could reserve the spot right behind where I was parked

Wish I could've been there too. Looks like a good time and great weather too. Hope something like this happens again next year. Would be great to hang out with some friends and meet new ones. Always good to share some Monte love.

Ben

I would've brought the Monte with the weather being good. That's what makes having an overdrive trans worthwhile, I can make those highway road trips without too much effort. I am hoping to get the big block swap done in the next few weeks though too. If all else fails I could always bring the 86 MC SS that I bought recently as my new summer daily driver. Like I said, hopefully something like that can be arranged again next year. There seems to be a pretty good Monte following in Michigan and surrounding areas.

I feel the same too Tony, seems like we keep missing each other at the local shows this summer. I see your progress on your Monte on Facebook though. Keep up the good work smile

Ben

I would've brought the Monte with the weather being good. That's what makes having an overdrive trans worthwhile, I can make those highway road trips without too much effort. I am hoping to get the big block swap done in the next few weeks though too. If all else fails I could always bring the 86 MC SS that I bought recently as my new summer daily driver. Like I said, hopefully something like that can be arranged again next year. There seems to be a pretty good Monte following in Michigan and surrounding areas.

I feel the same too Tony, seems like we keep missing each other at the local shows this summer. I see your progress on your Monte on Facebook though. Keep up the good work smile

Ben

Thanks Ben. Slow but sure. In limbo now. Low $$$$. frown