Power steering pump rebuild

MCfan

I finally got around to rebuilding my power steering pump to fix a small but persistent leak of fluid onto my garage floor. Although the dis-assembly and re-assembly of the pump was somewhat involved, this project is very straight forward and cost less than $15. It took me about 7 hours yesterday, but an experienced mechanic could probably do it in half that time or even less.

P2090360_zpsc0a56d6c.jpg

Of course, I made a photo journal in case anyone else has a need or interest in doing a project like this. It can be found at the following address: Power Steering Pump Rebuild Good to have another project off the list.

When I installed my hydroboost system I had to remove the pump from the reservoir to add a second return line, but I didn't go any further than that. It's amazing how crude they really are.

Good info, as I was wondering what was inside that pump unit.

• 3 years later...

Dennis,

Was there a trick that you used to reinstall the pump into the housing? I bought a replacement pump to install into my original housing. clocked it correctly and and inserted, and pressed together by hand as best i could and then used the 3 bolts to draw it in uniformly. I had approximately 1/8" of the pump body still protruding from the housing, and when I looked at my old pump, it seemed about right. However, when i tried to install it into the bracket (the one with the slot that fits on the rear bottom stud), I find that I'm about 1/16 or so off and cannot fit it in. 

when I look at the pump/reservoir I can see just a hint of the pump o-ring and i feel it needs to be drawn in just a touch more, but cannot seem to find a way to do it.

I bought a replacement pump/reservoir from rock auto and can install while I'm playing with this one. The only part that has a number on it is the pulley, and i suppose as long as i keep the original it will be fine.

Mike

Mike,  

It's been several years since i did that project, but I don't remember having a problem getting the pump reunited with the housing.  If definitely sounds like you have a fitment problem but I'm not sure what is causing it.  

First, I would use a dial caliper to compare thickness measurements of the two pumps in several places to be sure you have an equivalent replacement pump.  Second, I would examine the o-ring on the replacement pump.  Is it flat sided or completely round in cross-section?  If it is flat-sided, it should seat correctly under the lip of the housing so be sure it is not hung-up at any point around the circumference of the housing.  I would be extremely careful not to force it into position by tightening any of the three fasteners too tight for fear of distorting the back of the housing.  It sounds like you either have a dimensionally incompatible replacement pump (i.e. slightly too thick) or there is some interference of parts keeping the pump and housing from mating properly.  

You may want to pull the supply fitting and flow control valve out and check to see that that whole assembly is going back together properly.  Since it is a rebuilt pump, I assume all of the internals are correctly installed and the retainer ring is fully seated behind the end cap.  Other than that, I am fresh out of ideas ... sorry.