Aligning steering wheel

mbeigh

I checked in the tech archive and couldn't find any info sooo...

My steering wheel looks like it is five till five on the clock face and I would like to take it back to 9 and 3.

Does the plastic piece holding the emblem and horn button just pop off? Is there a secret to not damaging it?

I assume I just loosen the nut and adjust the steering wheel and retighten.

Any help would be appreciated. I have some mechanical ability and limited tools.

M Beigh

P1070063_2.jpg

We'll I know it's a green '70.. and it does not just pop off.. look on the back side of the steering wheel and remove two horn pad screws. You'll probably want to unhook the battery, if the horn works. A steering wheel puller comes to mind since most '70 steering wheels are very delicate and mostly always cracked, remove, check to see if steering shaft centering mark is at top, relocate steering wheel as needed. If centering mark is not indexed properly another problem is afloat. wink Centering mark on shaft should be at top when tires are facing straight..

Like Rod I agree if the marks line up keep looking at things like tie rods and the alignment especially the TOE setting could be off. I assume you got it this way, perhaps the last alignment was done poorly or not at all. If it once was OK and changed since you got it, what did you change or have changed? Hit a curb or anything?

Good luck,

Bruce

and center the steering box and set the steering wheel to that, if it's not straight then, take it to a alignment shop, you want/need the steering box centered as well as the steering wheel because of the variable ratio steering box

and! you can only move the wheel so much because of the horn contacter,

also someone might have disconnected the steering shaft before and didn't put it back together correctly

It was about 10 and 4 when I got it. Just replaced the end link bushings, pitman arm and front sway bar. Now is about 11 and 5 almost 12 and 6. Sounds like we are headed to an alignment shop

It was about 10 and 4 when I got it. Just replaced the end link bushings, pitman arm and front sway bar. Now is about 11 and 5 almost 12 and 6. Sounds like we are headed to an alignment shop

The only thing you replaced that would affect the alignment is the pitman arm. Seems strange it changed it that much.

Yea, there aren't that many splines on the shaft where the steering wheel mounts, you will find it makes large changes by moving it just one notch.

They will probably get the wheels pointed straight ahead, then undo the pitman arm and center the steering wheel, then adjust the end links so it all fits together without moving anything.