SS AUTO LEVEL OPTION

FOR ALL YOU SS GUYS THAT HAVE THE FACTORY LEVEL CONTROL:

I AM GATHERING SS PARTS UP LIKE A BIG SQUIRREL FOR MY 71 SS. I AM NOT GOING TO DO THE THE FULL RESTORATION UNTIL NEXT WINTER, SO I HAVE TIME TO GET MOST OF THE STUFF NOW. AS FOR THE AIR RIDE.... THE REAR SENSOR, AND THE AIR LINES ARE STILL IN THE CAR. I HAVE A BRAND NEW PUMP IN THE DELCO BOX (CAME WITH THE CAR) BUT NO TANK. I BOUGHT A 1971 CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL, BUT IT SHOWS NOTHING ABOUT HOW THIS SYSTEM IS SUPPOSED TO WORK. I HAVE BEEN WRENCHING CARS FOR OVER 20 YEARS AND HAVE NEVER HAD TO REPAIR ONE EITHER.

MY MAIN QUESTION IS DOES IT WORK GOOD WHEN ITS WORKING? OR AM I BETTER OFF HAVING IT ALL BOLTED IN THERE, BUT INSTALLING A QUALITY SET OF GAS SHOCKS. THIS CAR IS GOING TO BE DRIVEN AND I WANT IT TO RIDE AND HANDLE WELL. OTHERWISE I AM IN THE MARKET FOR THE REAR AIR SHOCKS AND A TANK.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP

JOHN

I am approaching the same situation with my 70 SS; in anticipation of possible solutions based on expense, function, and availability of the #$%^#$% parts ... I found an "interesting" reference to "factory installed levelving systems" .. see p/n 504516 at: https://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/mak,CHEVROLET,1970

Please keep me posted, I'll do the same. Even if I cannot get the system to work, I plan on plumbing the "thing" and using the "normal" hot rod air shocks .. Jim Shoaf Sr. downtown Raleigh, North Carolina.

thanks larry, that is a big help. now i know i need alot more hard to find parts.

the thing is, most of the aftermarket universal air shocks usually work in the 60 to 75 psi range with a max of around 125 psi. Is this vacuum pump set up capable of building enough air pressure to fill them? it seems like this is just 1 step above having a hamster running on a wheel, hooked up to a pump under a hood. and i think a well fed hamster still might do a better job?

You guys that have this system hooked up and working......is it worth all the time and effort?

I have my system up and working with a set of Gabriel High Jackers that I repainted in Dove Gray to look correct. If I can find a set of correct shocks they would be on the car. I've looked for 2 years and haven't found a set yet.

The only thing that I need to do is follow the ride height adjustment procedure in the chassis manual. It seems to me that the rear is sitting a little low after I had it out for a rebuild. The ride seems fine for the few (3) times that I've had it out for troubleshooting.

When you put your system together, watch out for the threads on the fittings. They are some kind of custom pitch, not pipe thread or any standard thread that I can remember. You can still get the correct compression fittings from GM.

That little "hamster" has some big teeth. Chevrolet spec is 125-140 psi. Mine puts out 140 psi. It just takes takes time to get there. There is a schreader valve on the pump, so you fill it with shop air, and then let it do the rest. You can just fill it with shop air and it will work, as long as it holds air.