Block casting code 3999289

Vaughn

Just to add to my other post on the 70SS that I am looking at.

Supposed to look at this weekend, but did not work out, imagine that.

Owner sent me one block casting # 3999289 GM 14 P.

I looked this up and it says it came from a 72-79. Am I right with this?

Thanks

Vaughn

I just wanted to put in my two cents this is the original block I prev owned this car. The vin is stamped on front pad of the block I belive as he states this could be the last 71 ss built. When this veh was mine I ckd all the numbers this car was very original but very rough. It still had the org radiator. Yes this car does not have the build sheet due to someone before me replacing the seats. This monte still has the pad on the rear bumper air ride and shock protectors. thank you

Just to clear confusion, I am looking at a 1970 SS454 located in St Albert, Alberta, Canada.

I believe that the one you are refering to is the primered 1971 that was or is on Ebay.

Thanks for the input, all info is good to a rookie like me.

Vaughn

Vaughn, my engine is a 3999289, it came off of a '73 heavy duty truck but I saw it before the mechanic installed it an it had " Pass. High perf." casted on the rear, I found in the books that it's a 2 bolt main. I'm not sure about the horse power but given it says "high perf." I'd assume it's the 275hp.

Dave

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the info. This guy was advertising this as an all #s mathcing car which with the help of every one hear I have found out that this is not true. This just pi---- me off. Is no one honest anymore. I guess the $$ will cause people to do anything. Sorry to vent Dave.

Hows that nice looking yellow 70 of your's comming.

Hope all is well.

Vaughn

It's just sitting there Vaughn, waiting for some TLC...it'll get it from me or someone else but it'll get it for sure... wink

I hope you'll find a true SS soon, but keep up the patience, it's not easy but worth it.

Dave

It is "possible" that a late, late, late 71 could have a "289" casting block. Although unusual, I have in my possesion a "289 block installed in a July 71 manufactured 71 Chevelle made in Baltimore.

Although unusual, late year production cars many time DO have castning number parts from the next production year model. Remember, althought the assembly plants stopped production in late summer for "refit" of the plant, the parts manufacturing plants were in full production of parts for the "new" model production that's ususally set to begin in early/mid August.