700R4 swap without shortening the driveshaft?

GermanMonte

First off I need to tell y'all that I live in Germany and therefore don't have access to transmission shops etc. My car is located in Dallas right now where a very good friend of mine will start working on it soon.

I thought about replacing the existing TH350 with a 700R4. From what I can tell until now I / he will have to shorten the driveshaft and move the crossmember.

Is there any possibility to get that 700R4 into the car without these modifications? I'm asking because I've that TCI offers a variety of 700R4's with different tailshaft length's and I was wondering if one of them will fit with only minor modifications.

I like the idea of having a fourth gear, especially with the gas prices over here (roughly 9 bucks a gallon these days) and I think a 200R4 won't be able to handle the power of my new motor. It's a 427 small block that's rated at 550 hp - so I will need to modify my drivetrain anyway.

Thanks a lot in advance

Robert

Robert as Scott pointed out contact TCI and find out more on the different length of the tail shaft. I have also heard and see the different length in the tail shaft ends for the 700r4. The 700r4 has a steep first gear a 3.06 and a 2 something for second 1 to 1 for third and .70 for the over drive. The 200r4 has a better gear set and is more of a direct bolt in to the 350 you have now. take a look at http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/index.shtml I have two 700r4's from them that can handle 450hp. Main thing is to get the line psi correct on either over drive trans or you will kill it in no time.

I think that the TH350 used in the Monte Carlo used a 6 inch tailshaft. That makes it the same as a long tail powerglide, and a 200R4. Here is a link to dimensions Automatic Transmission Dimensions

Art Carr has a 200 that will handle 1000 hp. I am sure he has different levels Art Carr

Thank y'all very much! You helped me a lot.

The 700R4 is definitely not available in different tailshaft lenghts. It's a incorrect information from Summit. The 200 4R as opposed to this will fit my Monte with only minor modifications. Bowtieoverdrives sent me a quote with all the details / parts that are necessary.

Thanks again!

Robert

to shorten a driveshaft is no problem.as for crossmember I had to redrill the 2 back holes on frame but frt 2 worked when I put 700 in my 71

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...