2014 Western Meet

Canuck

I know there is still 4 months to the 2013 Western Meet in Spokane, WA but I am already starting to think about the 2014 location since we will announce it later this summer. I would appreciate some input from members regarding an event that we can attend as a meet. Please do not simply post a city/state location, we would like a specific event and location that meets the following criteria:

- We prefer a 3-day event with some activities, vendors, cruises, etc.

- The event/location must be accessible to a good number of members. The location must be likely to have at least 10 members in attendance.

- It is preferred to have the event in July/August as it is typically easier for more members to attend. We have had meets in June and September with some success so they are a possibility.

- The event does not have to be huge but it should be enough to try and draw members to drive from a good distance away.

- We must have a member who can organize and attend the meet. I will organize the meet if it is within a reasonable distance but cannot get to all areas. If anyone else wants to jump in and organize a meet, let me know.

- The event should be well established. Some events are not run well and can cause problems for our meet.

- Take into account the meet locations we have visited in recent years.

To submit a possible event, please provide the event name, event location, event date, web site link, and other information that might be helpful.

I already have a couple events in mind but there may be others out there that I have not considered yet. I appreciate any input you have regarding a Western Meet location. The 2014 Western Meet location will be announced at this year's Western Meet in August.

Thank you!

I'll go first

Event: Cache Valley Cruise-in

Date: Early July

Web site: http://www.cachevalleycruisein.net/

Other: 3-day event with car shows, swap meet, poker run, concert, giveaway car, cruise and more. Over 1,000 cars at this show.

I have heard from others who have attended this show that it was very good. Well organized and lots to do.

Mopar folks but I wont hold that against them grin

My vote would be for the Bend show... sure, I am partial to Oregon, but there seriously is a LOT to do in and around Bend... and lots of places that we could work with on group rates for lodging (it will be off season near the ski-hill... so it is cheap).

I would prefer the Bend location also I did attend the Cache Valley Cruise one year(2007)and it was very well run and Logan Utah is a beautiful town. However it is a 13 hour drive for me and I am already attending the 2014 Hot August Nights in Reno (my Mom lives there) which is also a 13 hour drive. Not sure I could pull off 2 road trips like that lol. David P.S. since I brought up Reno hmmmm smile

Both of those look like nice shows, but if the Flashback Cruise falls in the first week of August, I couldn't make it either. Hot August Nights is July 29th thru August 3rd, I'm already registered.

Yeah, I see Hot August Nights is scheduled a week earlier in 2014.

I am willing to bet they push Flashback to a different week, since a lot of bend people go there as well. Maybe we can influence Jay to have his club push it back :-)

Originally Posted By: Canuck
Yeah, I see Hot August Nights is scheduled a week earlier in 2014.

I am willing to bet they push Flashback to a different week, since a lot of bend people go there as well. Maybe we can influence Jay to have his club push it back :-)

I was thinking the same thing. I would not want to have a car show that close to Reno on the same dates.

• 4 weeks later...

Just checked with the Prez and the 2014 Flashback dates are Aug 1,2&3. I would love to see the FGMCC Western Meet here in Bend! Flashback is a great weekend show that draws a lot of cars from around the western states. Many people come here instead of Hot August Nights to avoid the crowds in Reno. Some of the best aspects of Flashback are; a main Saturday show on the grass in downtown Bend's Drake Park next to the Deschutes River; a Saturday cruise on downtown streets (closed to outside traffic) with a local spectator turnout; participant voting in all classes; ability to park together in Drake Park.

They book the park well in advance and don't show any indication that the dates will be changed for Hot August Nights.....

• 1 month later...

I'm going to throw another one out there.

Event: Peggy Sue's Cruise

Date: June 12-15

Web site: http://www.peggysuescruise.com/

Other: 3-day event with car shows, swap meet, poker run, cruise, live entertainment and more. Roughly 600 cars. We did this event for our 2007 meet and it was well organized. The poker run was a fun drive.

• 2 weeks later...

Event: Flashback Cruz

Date: Early August

Web site: http://www.centraloregonclassicchevyclub.com/flashback.html

Other: 3-day event with car shows, poker walk, raffle and lots of cruising.

I am voting for the show in Bend. We have a national for BMX racing in Redmond Oregon which is just north of Bend and the riders from Arizona and California love coming there because of how central Bend is for traveling. It is about a 4 hour drive for us and there is a lot of stuff to do there and also great scenery for pictures and drives.

Take care,

Jack