ss and air conditioning

FOOLISH

I have not seen the production numbers broken down like that. There is only the A/C production stat for all 1970 Montes as far as I know. This is probably because the SS was only an option package and not shown as a different model. smile

I've never seen just SS Monte option listings. I think most Monte SS's would have air. It was a popular option and the people who paid extra for the SS option usually got lots of other options to go with it. Montes were sold as luxury cars, not performance cars. The SS option was not advertised much. It is barely mentioned in the factory literature for 70 and the SS markings were conservative to say the least. It was pushed a bit more in 71 and SS was added to the rear to go with the fender emblem, but very few were sold. I think most people would only find it while checking out the options when buying a Monte. All of the SS Montes I see in my area have air and lots of other options.

• 1 month later...

I think most Monte SS's would have air. It was a popular option and the people who paid extra for the SS option usually got lots of other options to go with it.

I agree. And like what has also been said - the SS454 was an option package itself (just like other options) and not a separate model, so just about any combination of options could exist on an SS454 car. Smaller engines, manual transmissions, fender skirts and cruise control were about the only options I can think of that were not available in combination with the SS454 option.

From what I've read over the years, it appears that most SS454 cars were usually optioned out pretty good. Mine has quite a few other options on it, too, so that goes along with that generality. That doesn't mean that all SS454 cars were, though.

Dave

i have 1 70SS non air and 2 71SS non air cars but i did look for them and bought them because of this , i am one of those die hard no accessories guys the more MUSCLE the better 90% of my collection is non air manual steering cars,much harder to find a Monte without air than a mid sixties chevelle or nova ,impala but there were still plenty of non air Montes

Leo

Leo you would have loved a '70 SS a friend of mine inherited from his Father.And his Father was the original owner.The only options in the car were posi-trac(G80)and a lower axle ration(3.73 if I remember right).She was white over white with a black cloth bench seat(had to deal with SC summers with no A/C)interior.Only pwr accessorys were brakes and steering.Sadly I've lost touch with my friend over time.But the Monte stands out because she was so much the opposite of mine.