1970 engine number(s)

ejw71

On the block pad behind the alternator where the engine number is stamped do '70 SSs have two rows of alphanumerics? The reason I'm asking is because my'71 SS has two rows. One transulates to a 454 for a '71 Monte and the other is the VIN. I'm wanting to find out if '70 SS engines were coded this way. Am attempting to help a Ohioan, future member, determine if his car is a '70 SS454. So far it looks good. Thanks, Ed

My '70 had a 454 coded T0608 CPA(which Alvin Colvin's book list for a '71 Chevelle high performance and of course Tonowanda plant)and yes the block had it's id stamped in 2 rows behind the alt.You'll also have a block casting number and casting date(both on left rear side of the block on top of bell hsg flange).Check the engine block id section of Mr. Colvin's book to help.

My build # is behind alternator but my vin# is on a tab near the oil filter also.

I was told since so few SS454 Monte's were made engines were pulled off another line and vin# was stamped later once engine was installed in a vehicle. Once installed it was easier to add vin# on tab by oil filter.

Dan

"VIN's" where installed at the assembly plant once the engine was installed in chassis. Assembly procedure dicatated the location of the stamp. Some assembly lines already had installed the alternator "before" the location the stamped the VIN. Therefore the VIN was stamped by the oil filter. Only place left they could get a gang holder to stamp the VIN. The body was not yet installed. This is more the exception than the rule. It is rare to find a Baltimore built car with the VIN by the oil filter. I will not say it did not happen however most all Chevelles/Montes made in Baltimore have the VIN on the engine pad behind the alternator. Kansas City cars and Arlington cars seem to have the VIN by the oil fiter more often.

Remeber, these engines were already stamped with the engine code at engine manufacturing plant such as "Tonawanda or Flint". So the inventory of engines on hand where already coded for application. All the workers had to do was pick the correct engine for the build, install and stamp. At this time, engines where not "complete" from the engine plants. By complete I mean that the alternator, brackets, power steering pump etc may/were not installed, therefore this was an assembly plant function. Some plants installed this after VIN stamping therefore the VIN was on the pad behind the alternator. Other's installed the accesories before engine installation in the chassis therefore the only place accesable to stamp the VIN was by the oil filter. GM's "AIM" assembly procdure outlined for virtually all assembly plants was for the VIN to be stamped on the pad behind the oil filter.

Another example of the VIN in many cases being by the oil filter are 1969 Z-28's from Norwood assembly. All the other Camaro's had the VIN on the pad behind the alternator, WHY? Only explanation according to the Camaro weenies is the engine accesory installation procedure at that plant for that particular 302 engine. For 350's, 396's ect the VIN is on the pad! Van Nuys built 1969 Z-28's have the VIN on the engine pad!

As with many things in GM, there were different procedures at different assembly plants. By "AIM" they were all to assemble the cars the same way, they did not!

Yes, it could get out without a VIN stamp. Rare but possible. It is not unusual to see a letter or number updside down in the VIN stamp also. The worker loaded the Gang holder wrong.

By the way, if you want to invest in a set of "correct" VIN and Engine stamps just like the "General" used on the assembly line, call Columbia Stamp in Michigan. They were an original supplier to GM. A "complete" set with gang holder will only set you back about $1,500!

Of course nobody out there restamps engines in the collector car market, do they?????

My 70SS has only the engine build number behind the alt. VIN is on the pad behind oil filter. Built in Van Nuys Feb. 1970.

Steve

"the Wolfman is Everywhere"