Help with Park issue (car rolls)

Nick H.

Just trying to figure out what I need to do to fix this. Car has a TH400 (maybe a TH350, not sure at the moment), and when it's parked, simply putting the trans in "Park" won't keep the car from rolling. Any incline/decline at all will overcome the parking gear, and the car will roll, and the trans makes a "clicking" noise, almost like a ratchet. I'm guessing it's either an adjustment issue in the trans shifter cable that isn't putting the car all the way into park, or there is something wrong with the trans itself, but you all would know better than I would.

Trans was rebuilt, has a shift kit, and works flawlessly in all gears and reverse. Car was originally a column shifter/bench seat car, was swapped for buckets and a console w/ horseshoe shifter before the trans rebuild. Never had issues before the trans rebuild, but I was in High School when the trans was re-installed, and I don't recall exactly what Dad did to adjust the shift cable or anything else when we did it.

All I know, I want to take the brick out of the back seat, so I need to be able to make the car stay where I park it, whether that's through repairing the park issue in the trans, or repairing the parking brake.

Any ideas? I'll be home in 2 weeks, planning on getting the battery cables re-installed, putting the inner fender wells back in, getting it started up, and doing some thorough cleaning. Still working on a plan for the project, but those are the first things I'm going to do. If there's anything I need to check when I have access to the car, I'd like to know what/where to look while I'm there. I'm only going to be able to work on it 6 days a month until I get a place with a garage.

That's what I thought it was. I'll get that taken care of when I go home.

Is there any place where I can order a replacement parking brake cable? The brakes in this car need work regardless, but the rear drums I don't believe have been touched. I'll likely wind up replacing with discs at some point, but that's not a priority at the moment.