Rare SS Build Sheet No F-41

busmechanic

I got the car today and from what I expected the car is not matching up to the build sheet. The car has power windows and that is not on build sheet and the car has idiot lights and build sheet show IP gauges. All in all the car is still a good find. A non posi. I will first list it as complete car on ebay if it does not hit my reserve of 1000.00 then I will start parting it out.

Goodies I see on this car are as follows, Keep in mind this car has sat a long time so things are brittle, dirty and worn.

Bucket seats, floor console all the seat belts. All good glass, fairly decent interior black panals. It has 400 turbohydrmatic, a complete 350 small block aluniumn intake holly carb, Complete gauges/dash, The blank speedo, Non gear shift column, a remote outside mirror, Power windows. Most of the chrome, halo top trim, a 3 core radiator, bunch of trim in trunk all driver quality if cleaned and polished/painted. disk brake set up.

I will be listing the build sheet also on Ebay. Who knows maybe a SS car out there, that needs this sheet, I just wish that the production number was there. This Z20 option Build sheet came from Van Nuys.

I will post pictures on a website sometime this week. If you need a complete car a 1000.00 will take it. Let me know before it hits Ebay next week.

Just my input on this . I have had several SS cars over the years . POSI was an option and NOT standard . the cars that got a posi had the boxed arms and sway bar and the ones that didn't have a posi had no need for the boxed arms and sway bar . I have copys of several cars If you need them for your data base . keep up the good work . thanks Steve

i sent Nate a copy of my build sheet for my 71 SS,

3.31 rear axle ratio, no posi, and i have the boxed lower arms, 1 1/8 inch front sway bar and the rear sway bar.

Just food for thought

Just my input on this . I have had several SS cars over the years . POSI was an option and NOT standard . the cars that got a posi had the boxed arms and sway bar and the ones that didn't have a posi had no need for the boxed arms and sway bar .

It has been my understanding for more than 20 years that all SS454 cars came with the thicker-than-standard issue (1 1/8") front anti-sway bar, the rear anti-sway bar & boxed control arms, heavy duty shocks & springs and included the Superlift automatic level control system with rear air shocks and shock protector plates regardless of whether the car was equipped with Posi or not. They also included 7" wide wheels shod with 70-series tires, which were among the beefier factory sizes for those items on passenger cars back then. Other than the level control system, the rest of the heavy duty suspension pieces (typically referred to as F-41) were there to improve handling characteristics - not traction. Is this not correct? Could it be that some of the F-41 components were simply not added to certain cars and that is why some of Steve "NOS Z20"'s cars didn't have them? confused

My '70 is equipped similar to John's '71... with the rear anti-sway bar, boxed control arms, etc., but no [optional] posi.

Dave

The reason 70-72 Chevelles do not necessarily have F41 on the build sheet or on a car is because F41 was an option on a 70-72 Chevelle and NOT standard equipment as part of the SS option.

The reason 70-72 Chevelles do not necessarily have F41 on the build sheet or on a car is because F41 was an option on a 70-72 Chevelle and NOT standard equipment as part of the SS option.

Not to pick nits, but I'll have to disagree with you there, Mike. Every SS built in '70-'72 has F41 because F41 became part of the SS package beginning in 1970. I've seen it on every Chevelle SS build sheet I've come across for those years.

F41 was optional on SS Chevelles up until 1970. So, in 1969 you could have an SS with F41, F40, or the "standard" suspension pkg if you wanted it that way. Here's a link to one of Team Chevelle's tech section pages on this very topic. The question in this tech section was initially referring to a '69 Chevelle SS where the owner thought his F41 suspension was "missing", but then they go on to discuss '70 and later models. See "T.T.'s" response in the link below:

Link

Quote:
Originally posted by NOS Z20:

Just my input on this . I have had several SS cars over the years . POSI was an option and NOT standard . the cars that got a posi had the boxed arms and sway bar and the ones that didn't have a posi had no need for the boxed arms and sway bar .

It has been my understanding for more than 20 years that all SS454 cars came with the thicker-than-standard issue (1 1/8") front anti-sway bar, the rear anti-sway bar & boxed control arms, heavy duty shocks & springs and included the Superlift automatic level control system with rear air shocks and shock protector plates regardless of whether the car was equipped with Posi or not. They also included 7" wide wheels shod with 70-series tires, which were among the beefier factory sizes for those items on passenger cars back then. Other than the level control system, the rest of the heavy duty suspension pieces (typically referred to as F-41) were there to improve handling characteristics - not traction. Is this not correct? Could it be that some of the F-41 components were simply not added to certain cars and that is why some of Steve "NOS Z20"'s cars didn't have them? confused

My '70 is equipped similar to John's '71... with the rear anti-sway bar, boxed control arms, etc., but no [optional] posi.

Dave

Dave, that's always been my understanding too. I've always been told (and read, and seen) that the F41 suspension package was on all SS's (Chevelle and Monte Carlo) in 1970-1971 regardless of POSI or not. I believe the F41 suspension has more to do with the engine displacement & resulting torque, and the overall "peformance" level of the car's handling that required that the control arms be boxed because of the force exerted on them by the sway bars. Well, that and always reading that getting the SS package meant a few things were automatically present, such as the F41 pkg, 12-bolt rear, etc., at least starting in '70, that is.

I ran it by Leo, and he said the same. Anything's possible, though because nothing was set in stone back then. It's possible that one of Steve's SS cars was so equipped. I'd have to see it to believe otherwise though, because I'm hard headed. wink

Man this just gets beter and better. I looked under car tonight it is a 12 bolt. So I had a little time and pull the cover and guess what, it is a Posi! counted the gears and it came out to be a 331 ratio. Again the build sheet does not match what the car has. mystery here is? Did some one drop a posi in place of the open carrier? Or did someone steel the box control arms and sway bar?

Here is a pic of the car:

http://webpages.charter.net/gmiller

Bus,

Interesting car that looks like it's had some swaps over the years. The interior looks '70, but the dash looks like '71-'72 with the white faces and non '70 knobs. Also noticed the '71 taillights and '71 front bumper. Quite a few good parts still on this one, you should have no problem selling on eBay. good luck!

Jeff

Your right on the white knobs but it has the 1970 green lettering on gauges. hard to see in pic when a flash goes off, It is a heniz 57 for sure laugh