A few more ?'s

Alright, I went and looked at it again. I have a few questions and any help is appreciated. Okay, the block is a CRN block, but the # ends in CRN, not begins. It does not match the VIN, but is it supposed to? The # on the block is T091ICRN. Is there a second # that I didn't find? It's not on the pad in front of the right head. The # listed is the only one. So is the # I'm looking for down by the oil filter? If the # is next to the filter, will I be able to get to it from under the car with the motor in it? Also I looked and it has the 1 1/8" sway bar up front along with all the other stuff I took pics of. The car is a Flint, Mi. car. Will I not be able the find a build sheet if it's not in the car? The back seat was taken up by the owner and he said he didn't find one. Also the trunk floor is pretty rusty, so what's the chances if the build sheet is under the gas tank that it's readable? The frame is in really good condition or at least appears to be. Thanks again for any help.

T091ICRN

From what I can determine the CRN code is for 1970 Chevelle 454 360hp (I guess it's the same for a Monte)?...I don't see that an "I" would be before the CRN, can it be TO911CRN? Meaning built in Tonawanda 09/11 (Sep.11th eek )

Click here for link

John,

Is 091I anywhere in the VIN? You are looking in the correct place. There may be a second stamping past CRN. CRN is correct for a 70SSMC.

Build sheet may be under rear seat, behind rear seat back, under gas tank, and behind front seat back shells.

there should be another stamping after that, the last six numbers should be the last six of your VIN, if there are no numbers, it may be a replacement engine, not always though

See that is what I was thinking about the VIN. It is without a doubt the only # on the pad. I thought maybe it might be a replacement engine. But if so, when would you have been able to buy a replacement block with the CRN VIN on it? Like within the first few years of the original production or am I just missing somehting? You think it might be down by the oil filter? Also, what's the chances that it has a CRN block and it not be original?

I do not think that anyone has found a build sheet from a Flint built car. A replacement block should be stamped with the code CE. CRN is correct code for a 71 SS Monte 454. I would look for the vin # on the block by the oil filter and yes you can see it from under the car. Hope this helps.

Vaughn

From what I read here and elsewhere not all plants stamped the block under the alternator with the vin #. The numbers you found are correct for a motor for a Monte. My SS is another Flint built car and I have just the engine build date on this pad also. You can look on vin plate or the driver's door blue tag for the actual car build week and month and verify that engine crn date preceeds it. You should be able to see the vin # on the small vertical pad near the oil filter. From the looks of the car I would say it is a little rough but it appears to have the right stuff.

Thanks guys. I may be the proud new owner of a 1970 Monte Carlo SS454! A rough one, but I'm a sheetmetal worker by trade, so I'm not sweating the rust too bad.

The VIN will be stamped on a vertical machined surface, above the oil filter, right where the block mates to the transmission. It should be visible from under the car. The number you see is the build number which shows it to be Tonowanda built, (as were ALL big blocks then), on September 11. The CRN code is for an LS5, 360hp 454, used in a Monte Carlo.