200R4 vs 700R4 vs GV OD

CKZ03

Since we are on the subject here, Im definetly making adding an overdrive mandatory for my winter project. After cruising down the highway on my way to Woodward at 70 mph at 3500 rpm I came to the conclusion that OD is definetly necessary. I still achieved 14 mpg at this ridiculous rpm, but just think what it could be a 1000 rpm less. Im leaning towards a 200R4 because of the cost, simplicity and 0.67/1 ratio. I must mention that Im certainly not pushing much horsepower either and no plans to be over 400 hp ever, drivetrain is 350/350th w/ 3.55 gears. The 700R4 still being cheaper than the Gear Vendors with a little more work but with a 0.7/1 OD ratio. The Gear Vendors coming in at the largest expense but with a 0.78/1 OD ratio almost doesnt make sense to me at a 22% drop in final drive ratio vs dollar amount. In this case the 200R4 seems to be the no brainer for me.

Opinions NEEDED, please. Thanks Cory

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cory,

200 R4 is what I would do. The lock up converter is a big help. My 2.73 rear axle ratio would probably need changing.

Bruce

I have the 200-R4 and it is a dramatic improvement over the 350 as far as gas mileage and launch goes. I have the 3.73 gears and wish I had the 3.55's like you do. Additionally my trans in non-lockup which I also regret, I get just under 20mpg with a mild 350. I suppose now would be the time to mention my trans is from California Transmission (as seen on Overhaulin') and if I was going to do it again I would be purchasing a Bowtie Overdrive trans.

You are correct. The trans was very easy to install, all you have to do is move the crossmember back slightly, and easy to "tune" as far as shift points go.

Dang, I mostly griped about my trans... I really do like it. I just dislike Mr. Art Carr.

I have the 200-R4 and it is a dramatic improvement over the 350 as far as gas mileage and launch goes. I have the 3.73 gears and wish I had the 3.55's like you do. Additionally my trans in non-lockup which I also regret, I get just under 20mpg with a mild 350. I suppose now would be the time to mention my trans is from California Transmission (as seen on Overhaulin') and if I was going to do it again I would be purchasing a Bowtie Overdrive trans.

You are correct. The trans was very easy to install, all you have to do is move the crossmember back slightly, and easy to "tune" as far as shift points go.

Dang, I mostly griped about my trans... I really do like it. I just dislike Mr. Art Carr.

Jim, do tell. I have an Art Carr 200-R4 which I had in my 86 Monte just installed in my 71 a few months ago. That tranny was from the 'old Art Carr' before he split his business, though. Did you have technical issues or business issues with them?

Cory: I think you are on the right track given your hp levels and intended use. My local buddy and club member (Jay) has a 72 402 Custom with a 200 r4. He loves it. You have his contact if you have specific question. I had one in my 85 Monte and loved it.

Don't hold me to this, but I thought you could use the factory crossmember holes and even a TH400 drive shaft..? Can anybody confirm?

Now, if you were to hit power levels of 500 +, then I'd consider TH400 and GV. It's on my list.....after paint.....and ac.....and gauges....etc

I had an issue with the transmission failing within 500 miles of installation and he only covered a portion of the repair. He blamed me for his transmission failing if you can believe that one. Art stated that because I had a column shift there was normally a lot of "slop" in the linkage causing the rod to break connecting the valve body to the linkage (internal to the transmission). I have the feeling if I would have had a console he would have told me the cable had streched, causing the slop and subsequent transmission failure but cannot say for sure. After I got it repaired the fella that did the work, a local transmission shop owner, told me that the 2-1 downshift was not working at all and he could repair that for around $185. I declined.

When I contacted Art Carr about the problems I was having he became very agitated.... really, really agitated. He threatened to not honor the warrantee at all even. I may have stirred the pot when I explained I rigged aircraft flight control cables for a living and transmission linkage adjustment was very simple by comparison. I would think a business would do what they could to keep a customer happy and resolve any issues, especially with a part ordered via the internet. Not old Art. I will tell everyone and anyone what a poor product I received and what poor customer service I got from his company every chance I get. Especially interesting was the time I called and Art was not available I spoke with one of his employees. His employee admitted he had seen the valve body control rod break in the past. Art, on the other hand, denied he had every had a valve body control rod break so the problem must have been with my installation. Huh. Andreas I hope you don't have issues with your transmission before the warrantee expires and have to deal with that guy. When my transmission fails, and I pretty much think it will fail (I have been told the pumps are the weak spot), I will be looking elsewheres for the replacement.

I guess you could say I had both technical and business issues with Cal Trans so I spread the word about my experiences.

I have the 3.73 gears and wish I had the 3.55's like you do..

Just spoke with Bowtie Overdrive, they tell me 3.55 gear is the cut off for the 200R4, sounds like your getting away with it with the 3.73 and satisfied with the performance. They are putting together a quote for me. They also mentioned I will definetly need to change my crossmember to one they sell, is this right? No big deal if so, but it sounded like guys were using their original crossmember with this conversion. Thanks for the info.

I used the original crossmember, just shifted it back to the next set of holes in the frame. Fit just fine. I think the folks at BO meant that your 3.55's are the lowest recommended. My 86 SS came stock with a 200-R4 and 3.73's. The performance is great as far as acceleration goes, the car is peppy. I would like more mpg's and that is where a lock-up trans and 3.55's would have been great.

I think the folks at BO meant that your 3.55's are the lowest recommended.

Right, think I was having some brain diarrhea there, DUHHHH lol

Sorry to here of your troubles with Cali Trans/Art Carr. Now I'm wondering if anyone has had good luck with BO. confused

My Monte has a custom built 700r4 from Bowtie Overdrives set up to handle 700 hp. We'll see how it holds up. So far, it's actually very smooth and a little easier on me than my previous Monte's built TH400 mvb.

Cory we got two of the bowtie overdrive 700r4's one in the Monte with 2.73 gears and a 26" tall tire which runs pretty good. The other 700r4 is in our 57 nomad with 3.70 gears. Both trans are built to handle 450hp with a 2200 stall speed.

I put a 200-4R in my Monte out of an 85 Monte SS. Can't say much about it yet as it has only been to the end of my court and back so far. But I have 3.73's and the lock up with TPI so I'm hoping to get around 20 mpg with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Cory,you are never done...just waitng for something else to add-on. I am in the same boat with mine.(random gallery photo again?). I have a 200-4r, I am thinking of buying the hard parts,(sun gear,billet servo,hardened input shaft,etc.) and having a trans. guy here in N.Y. state put it together for me. I am just debating on what stall to use and if a lock-up style. My cam is over .500" lift so I do need the stall. Has a 2400 stall in it right now,th350,new front pump,shift kit is all. Keep us informed on what they offer you. Then maybe I'll add-on some electric cutouts for the exhaust. Never done.....well maybe then I will be.

Originally Posted By: jim's 70
And you thought you were done..kicking

Right?? lol

Funny guys lol

Originally Posted By: 420ponies
Keep us informed on what they offer you.

Here is the quote Bowtie Overdrives sent me, I better keep being a good boy & maybe Santa will bring it for Christmas smile

Listed Items Qty Cost

Transmission: 2004R Level 2 1 $1,395.00

Torque Converter: 2200 2004R Heavy Duty (C24HDT) 1 $175.00

Crossmember: 68-72 Chevelle HT 1 $195.00

Shifter: 71-72 Chevelle (SC2243) 1 $89.25

Inspection Cover: 2004R Universal(K35803U) 1 $25.00

Dipstick: 2004R Universal 1 $30.00

TV System: Holley 4100 Throttle Bracket Single Non Braided 1 $139.95

TCC Wiring: TCC Brake Switch Kit 1 $35.00

Transmission Lines: , $0.00

Speedometer Gears: New Set 2004R Drive/Driven Gears W/ NEW Housing Drive Gear: 10 Driven Gear: 27 1 $115.00

Installation Tools Cost

Installers Kit(Pressure Gauge Temp Gauge Inline Filter) $69.95

Misc Items Cost

Carte Fee $60.00

Special Special - free torque converter to $ 175.00 value with transmission package $-175.00

Sub Total $2,154.14

Tax $0.00

S&H $185.00

Total $2,339.15

• 3 months later...

So Im definetly going with the 200-4R and Im getting ready to pull the trigger on this purchase soon, but Im still a little gun shy of who to buy from and kinda confused on each companies builds/"stages" and other required parts for install they suggest I may need. Looked at Bowtie Overdrives, Monster trans and CK performance trans.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/ - 1 year warranty

http://www.monstertransmission.com/ - 3 year warranty

http://ckperformance.com/ - 1 year warranty

Guys at Bowtie say I must change out my crossmember, while other members here say its not necessary? Not going to spend that $200 if you guys say its totally not necessary.

Any tips on install and exactly what "other" parts for install I may need would be great, thanks Cory

I've been talking with bowtie as well lately Cory , I'm on the fence here too even as far as gear ratio on the rear. They suggest a 3.73 but I'm afraid it's a bit much.

I'm curious as to any answers you get here too

I have a 700R4 in my 72 with 3:73 gears and I am getting 20PHG on the hiway. Before I got the cable kit for Bowtie Overdrive every time the tranny shifted it went into the next gear very hard. Got the correct cable and mounting hardware for Bowtie Overdrives and after my tranny guy adjusted it 3 times on the road test after the install it is perfect. Hit the accelerator hard and it shifts hard even barking tires when it hits 2nd. Easy shifting all other times. Very happy with it.