200R4 vs 700R4 vs GV OD

CKZ03

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that people here on the board have mixed experiences with Art Carr, but I have a 200-4R built by him for many years now without any issues:

http://www.cpttransmission.com/index.htm

They claim to have options up to 1,000 HP...

Chilled to the bone this morning!! 1 stinkin degree here at 10 am! The garage is a balmy 54 degs and climbimg (radiant floor heat). Got the th350 out, leaving today to pick up my 2004r .It's Ready!! The only thing lacking is the shifter. Shifter works is sending me my new shifter. LED'S are in and look nice! next thing is the jeep steering gear install .Then if I have time, gear drive timing install. Can't wait til warmer weather here. Is there a easier way to upload pictures? I need to do this I guess.

Presamax,  From one tin badge to another...  I've used both the 700R's and 200-4R happily for years in a lot of different platforms. (My Malibu pictured below sports a 700)  In each, I was obsessed with ensuring that the TV was properly set up...  and even with all of my hammering on them, I never lost a tranny.   Nonetheless,  I just installed a 4L80E behind the big block in my '72...  and I made that decision even though I had two fresh trannys, one of each flavor - a 700R4 and 200-4R, sitting in my garage;  and both were built with billet internals.

The 4L80E is a rugged unit.  They are both physically larger and heavier than the other overdrive transmissions I've mentioned...  and both is due to the extra size and beef of the internal components within this transmission that lends to its brute strength.  If you're wanting to get a heavy vehicle moving through the production of mega torque, the 4L80 will provide that in spades.  And they fit into A bodies without surgically altering the sheet-metal.  Mine fit as-is, although simply for peace of mind I indented a silver-dollar sized section to provide a little extra room around the speed sensor outlet.

The stand-alone controller that the tranny uses is now plug-and play as well.    In a nut-shell, I am extremely pleased with the transmission.

Monster Transmissions complete set up to my 454 went extra on there syn oil used stock cross member , had new driveshaft made. Get people & posted build on faccebook about 1k complete driveshaft made at different company $300.