trim tag decodes?

FOOLISH

To add to what Aaron wrote, you won't find anything on the cowl tag* or VIN in '70 or '71 that tells you the car is an SS. You will need a build sheet, Protect-O-Plate (POP) or look for the tell-tale signs of an SS -- parts that only came on SS cars. The tech reference Aaron pointed you to gives you that information.

There were also '72 Monte Carlo Customs that could be ordered with a 454. Same rules regarding the cowl tag apply, but I believe (somebody will surely correct me if I'm wrong) that if the VIN has a "W" in it, it is at least a Custom, but may or may not have come with a 454. So really to identify a '72 Custom with a 454, you need a build sheet, POP or some investigative work to be sure.

*The exception to the rule is cowl tags on Canadian-built SS cars which should show the Z20 option stamped on them.

thanks for the feedback. I just got the book Chevy by the numbers and it should help. My problem is I don't know what the number 10 means next to the Body B, fish, and above the BDY on the Tag. any sugestions? thanks foolish

Hey Nate,

I do know one thing, (I think) laugh . The vin # on the 1972 identified the motor. A "w" indicated a 454 and a "U" indicated a 402 motor, etc. It did not tell us if it was a Custom or not. I do agree from what I have seen and been told, that on Canadian built Monte"s, A Z20 on the cowl tag for a SS454 and a Z03 for a 1972 Custom. I remember reading the post that Alex is referring to about Leo's Canadian built 71 SS454. Now if I could only remember what was said. Maybe Leo's is one that snuck out of the factory without it being stamped.

Vaughn

i no longer own the 71 ss from Canada it was recently sold but it did have z20 on the cowl tag there is a picture on the ss id page under canadian built cars , i have not seen another mentioned here but over the years have talked to 2 other folks with canadian ss cars only 147 built in 71 very rare , and as far as the 72 gm models all motor info is in the vin small or big block , to bad this practice was not started in 1962

Leo

nate, your wrong on that canadian ss cars had z20 stamped on the cowl tag. want proof talk to leo konick he has one of 147 that were made in 71 in canada.

alex

I'm confused at your statement, Alex. I said in my previous post that only '70 and '71 cars built in Canada have "Z20" stamped in the cowl tag which shows they are SS cars. Are you saying this wasn't always the case?

Vaughn, thanks for the info. I knew that the "W" in the VIN of '72 Montes meant either that the car had a 454 or that it was a Custom. I had a 50/50 chance and guessed wrong. laugh Now, answer me this: if you ordered a 454-equippped Monte Carlo in '72, did it automatically come with the "Custom" package?

i no longer own the 71 ss from Canada it was recently sold but it did have z20 on the cowl tag there is a picture on the ss id page under canadian built cars , i have not seen another mentioned here but over the years have talked to 2 other folks with canadian ss cars only 147 built in 71 very rare , and as far as the 72 gm models all motor info is in the vin small or big block , to bad this practice was not started in 1962

Leo

Agreed. What was Chevy thinkin'????

Nate,

If you ordered the 454 engine in a 1972 it did not automatically make it a Custom. The Custom Package could have been ordered on any 1972 Monte, regardless of engine size.

Vaughn

oh sorry i didnt read that part must of missed it

Oh, no prob, Alex. I just thought maybe you were saying that not all Canadian-built Montes had the "Z20" stamped on the cowl tag. laugh

Vaughn, thanks for the info. I'll keep my eyes open for your future "W" car.

Nate,

If you ordered the 454 engine in a 1972 it did not automatically make it a Custom. The Custom Package could have been ordered on any 1972 Monte, regardless of engine size.

Vaughn

Yep my first Monte was a '72 Custom with a 350 and a bench seat.

Ian

• 14 years later...
6 hours ago, Tommy said:

1970 SS 454 has trim tag of 13858 instead of 13857.

Tommy,  That is not true.  All Monte's had a 4th and 5th digit as 57.  In 1970 and 1971 the 57 identified the body style as "2-dr hardtop coupe" and in 1972 the 57 identified the body style as "2-dr sports coupe".   You can find this information here on the site at this link:  https://www.firstgenmc.com/forums/index.php?/resources/decodingvin/  Unlike the Malibu, the Monte Carlo did not ever come in a convertible, NEVER did a Monte Carlo come in a 4 door and for sure.... Thank God, NEVER, EVER, NEVER did the Monte Carlo come in a Station Wagon.... Maybe if it had we may have seen a 4th and 5th digit reading "58" or something other than a "57"

Please don't get me wrong Tommy, I am not lecturing you.... If I were not "sheltering In" you may be able to see my tongue firmly planed in my cheek..... but that would still not change the fact that to the best of my knowledge there has not been any different 4th and 5th digit than the "57". 

If you would like to come to the Eastern Meet in Carlisle, Pa. at the end of June I am sure we could show you some of the trim tags on several 70 SS's.

rob

• Like 2

On 11/8/2005 at 6:38 PM, FOOLISH said:

does anyone have any easy way to tell a ss from another big block by the trim tag or vin? thanks foolish

Only way to tell by VIN  if it is matching numbers, and even then there are restamps. Although restamps are fairly easy to see if you know what you are looking at. 

Canadienne cars with have a Z20 stamped on the trim tag. 

The 72 big block cars had a U for 402 or a W for 454, but no trim level by those numbers, unless Canadienne. And not a Z03  Customs were big block. 

hi, guys my 72 454 has the (w) in the vin and i know that the original owner ordered the custom package option ,the original owner lives in my town and i bought it from him 40 years ago, can you get a 454 without the custom option not sure?

sorry rob I think a monte wagon would be ok    I saw pics in the archives where somebody put 70 Chevelle headlites on a monte    Chevelle wagons/monte crossover?    wagons have great weight transfer

2 hours ago, bob 71 said:

sorry rob I think a monte wagon would be ok    I saw pics in the archives where somebody put 70 Chevelle headlites on a monte    Chevelle wagons/monte crossover?    wagons have great weight transfer

No offense intended Bob.... To each their own.   Here is where I was coming from with my comment.... When a Chevelle guy says that a Monte is NOT a muscle car I mention the 4-door and Station Wagon argument....  

rob

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rob Peters said:

No offense intended Bob.... To each their own.   Here is where I was coming from with my comment.... When a Chevelle guy says that a Monte is NOT a muscle car I mention the 4-door and Station Wagon argument....  

rob

I always tell people a Chevelle is a poor mans Monte. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/14/2020 at 12:19 PM, Tommy said:

1970 SS 454 has trim tag of 13858 instead of 13857.

Rob, That info about the cowl tag number came out of a GM specification manual. However it must have been a pre-production one because it also lists specs and a different cowl tag number for convertible Monte's. I suspect GM was anticipating doing a lot of stuff that they never did. I apologize for the posting of incorrect data. I had a buyer for my 1970 SS 454 and he showed me that manual and said mine was a SS 402 and would not buy it. I have the manual on PDF if you want a copy. Thanks for setting me straight.  Tommy

25 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Rob, That info about the cowl tag number came out of a GM specification manual. However it must have been a pre-production one because it also lists specs and a different cowl tag number for convertible Monte's. I suspect GM was anticipating doing a lot of stuff that they never did. I apologize for the posting of incorrect data. I had a buyer for my 1970 SS 454 and he showed me that manual and said mine was a SS 402 and would not buy it. I have the manual on PDF if you want a copy. Thanks for setting me straight.  Tommy

Tommy, no need to apologize.  Everyone has a learning curve.  Yeah, he gave you some wrong info based upon information he had.....Yep, never was a SS 402 Monte factory Built.

rob