Turbo 400 - 2004R SWAP

For anyone wondering about taking out a turbo 400 and putting in a 4 speed, I've got some experience now! Just got mine done and WOW what a difference. I have 3:55 gears, Eaton Posi unit, and the Bowtie Overdrives 2004R Level 2 Tranny. With my GM crate motor and a barry Grant Speed Demon 650 Mechanical Secondary twin squirter, I'm boiling the tires in first and second gears, a good chirp in third, and in OD I'm at 2,000 on the tach. Anyway, I was looking for answers before I did it, some members helped me a little, and now I can return the favors, it really wasnt that hard and not too awful expensive for what I got out of it! It's almost scary with a 340hp motor, I haven't even given it the juice yet, that'll be 450 horses once it's broken in and all is good, bowtie says it will handle a steady diet of 450-500 ponies, so we will see!

Glad to hear you got it done. Sounds like a great set up.

Going to be interesting to see that tranny hold up with that much hp.

I'm not going to do quite the same as you. I'm keeping the turbo 350 (for now) but am going to up my rear-end from 2.73 to 3.31. Since she's my daily driver though, a 200r4 or 700r4 may be an option down the road sometime.

I'm not pushing out quite the hp you are. I'm sitting closer to 300 and will leave it that way.

Congrats again on getting her done.

Just a note, I picked my gears from my Chevrolet Silverado Pickup. I looked up the codes, the rear is 3:42, the trans is 700R4 (which if you have a TH350 is what you'll put in to replace), which is .70:1 final drive. I have 3:55 and .67 final drive which is close. 3:31 will give you some excellent gas mileage on the highway with an overdrive. there's so much to doing the rearend gears and getting them right it's good to be sure what you're trying to end up with. I'd almost suggest a 3:42 gear set if you live in an area with a lot of hills and inclines, the overdrive will be downshifting like crazy with to low a rear end. Thanks for the reply, I sure am happy with it, so much easier to set shift timing and feel with the Overdrive tranny, I never had much luck with the old vacumn modulator setup. Mine is a daily driver too, the way monte's were meant to be!

P.S. I like the color of your car, looks like mine with a hard top not the vinyl, I just got my first newsletter and it is really cool to get monte of the month status, hope my wife lets me go to the big meet.

Dear XRL8,

I will be removing a Turbo 400 and installing either a 700R4 or a 2004R, just not sure which one. How did you make up your mind on the right tranny? By the way, I am also in the DFW area, if you don't end up sending your Turbo 400 to another member, I would be happy to come take it off you hands ;0).

David - olschoolchev

Hey David, Like i said, i picked the gearing from my truck, i figured it did good with 200hp, so then I looked at size, it seems that the difference between a Th350 and a TH400 is mainly the gears, the TH350 has a lower first and slightly lower second gear, and 1:1 final drive, used mainly for lower Cubic inch cars, the big block cars came with the TH400 which has a higher 1st and 2nd gears, 1:1 final. The 700r4 has higher 1st and 2nd than the 2004r, 3rd is 1:1 on both, and the final drive of the 700r4 is .70:1, the 2004r is .67:1. Now from what I got off Bowtie Overdrives website, go to 700R4.COM, the 2004R would bolt up as a direct replacement. They sold me the Trans, Yoke, Converter, dipstick, and cover, plus set up my speedo gears before I even got it. Didn't have to move the crossmember or anything! Drive shaft came out perfect with no mods, check 'em out and see what they say. I go by cost and what I can do myself with the least amount of headaches! We'll have to go out and cruise the streets, I drive mine all over, and people don't miss it either!

I can't tell you how good it is to see some guys from DFW in this forum! Really REALLY good to see.

Don, thanks for the compliments. Congrats on Monte of the month! Your gal looks fantastic!

Mines currently at the body shop getting new quarters. She'll then head to the paint booth.

Great tip about where you got your gearing from. I'll definitely check out trucks when I get ready to do it.

Quote:
Mine is a daily driver too, the way monte's were meant to be!
Man, I couldn't have said it better. "the way monte's were meant to be!"

If either of y'all want to hook up sometime.. give me a holler.