Test and Tune

TommyP

Our local track had it's last test and tune day yesterday but when I woke up to freezing rain it didn't look good. We decided to go and hope for the best. When I got there and was driving trough the pits there was Michael Roy's Monte Carlo sitting there....bonus!!! Michael's Monte is that maroon one that has been on the site before and has won his class at Hot Rod's dragweek the last 2 years. It's a twin turbo charged monster that runs in the 7's but is still capable of driving 1000+ miles on the street.

I got in these 5 runs.

Run 1 12.72@106.25

Run 2 12.66@106.40

Run 3 13.10@105.64

Run 4 12.24@112.75

Run 5 12.37@109.74

On run 3 I tried to use 100hp NOS but got totally messed up. I was thinking about so many different things that I didn't do anything right it seemed. I put a purge valve on it but I wired it up so that the switch that turns the system on has to be on to activate it. When I was coming up to the line I turned the switch on the dash on and hit the purge button and it worked fine but I didn't remember to turn the switch on the dash back off. I wanted to activate the NOS once I got off the line a little bit. So I leave the line and reach up to switch the NOS on and the switch is already on, so while I have my hand on the switch I'm totally over reving first gear. Then after the run is over I remember that I forgot to turn back the timing. All that bad stuff in one run,wow.

Runs 4 and 5 were with the NOS activated at about 60ft, and with the timing turned back 6 degrees.

I didn't get that 11 that I was hoping for but at least I didn't break anything.

Michael Roy ran a 7.80 but then ended up breaking his transmission on the line. I got a chance to meet him and his crew and they were a great group. They said that at 4200lbs and with that much HP they were in uncharted waters on what will hold up. The trans. was a high dollar automatic that let go. I asked him if he knew about this site and he said that he did. One of his friends that was with him said that he was a member here, but I can't seem to remember his name.

I've got some video and pictures that I'll try and post soon.