Rear-end question

Gonzo

Well my winter project for this year is to redo the rear-end. I will be adding a Tru-Trac, 3.73's, all new bearings/seals and possibly axles with c-clip eliminators. I heard it is better to use the shim kit instead of the crush sleeve for the pinion, do you guys have any opinion on this? Also was wondering if you can get an install kit that includes the shim kit or do you buy that seperate?

Hey Gonzo, that was my winter project last year... well sorta... I actually stuck with the existing gears (I love my 2.73s) and I also stuck with the C-clips. This is my album linky in case it might have something of use for you on the generic aspects of the rebuild. For the spacer question, I thought about a solid spacer vs a collapsible for a bit but decided against it after some reading and comments from transmission shops. Ease of assembly is one of the main factors. I think a solid spacer would be great if you could pick the right one off the start. One of the problems is the trial and error which is apparently required until you find the one that gives you the perfect preload although it is apparently a tougher set up so if you are planning on producing a lot of power some of the documentation says that under extremely high torques the collapsible spacer can deflect beyond its springback length and this can cause the load on the pinion nut to decrease and the nut can loosen. A solid spacer will not have this problem.

I got my ring and pinion installation kit from Jegs and had to get the OEM type collapsible spacer separately so I'm assuming it would be the same for solid spacers.

Good luck with your project and please keep us posted with pics.

• 2 weeks later...