Speedo cable routing with a 4spd manual

V8Freak

So guys i have a speedo cable question. My 70 was a automatic car and the speedo cable came through the floor where the pedals are. My buddy that is helping me build this car said he believes the cable came through more towards the tunnel. Could anyone help me figure out where this should be routed?

Matt, the speedo cable on my factory 4-speed exits the passenger compartment through a 3/4-1" grommeted hole in the firewall directly behind the foot brake arm and about a foot above the floorboard.  Since both the clutch and brake pedals are offset from their arms, the hole appears to be above and directly between them.  That sounds like the same position you described for an automatic car, although I can't  confirm that because my auto car is over 1800 miles away at the moment.

• Like 1

The hole for my speedo cable looks like it's directly below steering column. My buddy thinks it should be further to the centre of the car and up a bit higher like his 4spd 68 Camaro

Mcfan, could You define more what you mean by exits passenger compartment? Do you mean exits transmission on passenger side?

The passenger compartment is the whole area that houses the dash, steering wheel, front and rear seats, etc.  

The speedometer cable drops down from the instrument cluster behind the dash,  exists through the firewall on the driver's side into the lower back side of the engine compartment, drops further down and crosses under the transmission to the passenger side where it connects to the tail shaft of your Muncie 4-speed transmission. See photo below of a page from the Factory Assembly Manual.

post-567-0-26560300-1485218058_thumb.jpg

Unless you are using a non-standard length cable, I see no need to use anything but the factory routing.  A first generation Monte Carlo is not a derivative of a Camaro (thankfully).

BTW, I think you would find a Factory Assembly Manual to be a tremendous asset in putting your Monte back together.  You can get them from several suppliers on eBay.  Here's a link to one: 1970 Chevelle, El Camino and Monte Carlo Factory Assembly Manual

I have all of them but sometimes have a hard time trying to find everything, but thank you very much sir that was super helpful I very much appreciate the time you took to get that pic and upload it I know it's a lot of work. You are awesome you've responded to almost all my posts in the past 5 years lol