Need Help. Which Muncie do I have?

stickshift

Ken,

Your casting number indicates a 1970 -1974 Muncie but it could be an M20, M21 or M22. The stamping of P3T12 confirms it is a Muncie built December 12, 1972 (for the 1973 Model year) but lacking the A, B or C letter on the end, it does not indicate which model. You can easily identify an M22 by its characteristic "blower drive" whine or you can open it up to see the gear teeth. Both the M20 and M21 have teeth faces that are angled nearly 45 degrees relative to the shaft axis, the M22 teeth faces are angled much less from that axis. See comparison photo below.

M21vsM22gearcomparison_zpsf469ce05.jpg

If the transmission is out of the car, you can check the first gear ratio by counting and comparing revolutions of the input and output shafts. An M20 is 2.52:1 while an M21 or M22 is 2.20:1.

You might also check for a small stamped metal tag under one of the side cover bolts on the driver's side that will show the GM part number and tell you which model it is. Not all Muncies have that tag, however. Pictures below are of the housing stamping and metal tag from my 1970 M20.

P3012386-1.jpg

P3012393.jpg

BTW, here's the link to an interesting web site on Muncie Identification if you don't already have it: Muncie Identification

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased another M-22 Muncie for $200. I purchased it just for the main casing because mine has a hairline crack in it with one of the ears missing. The transmission that I just purchased looks good other than a couple of gears being stripped out. The casting # on it is 3885010. The patent # is 3088336. It has P7H09 on it also and it has the large shaft.