ENGINE - Big Block conversion.

Can any one shed light on what has to be replaced in the engine compartment when I convert to a big block? So far I've figured the mounts, radiator, fan and fan shroud, front springs. Am I not thinking of something? Any help would be greatly appritiated. I'm not trying to make it factory correct, just the stuff thats required. Thanks in advanced.

Swapping out small block for big isnt to bad of a job. I used the front part of the shroud and it looks orig. The motor mounts are the same. You will probably need a bigger rad. I used tube headers and an alum intake and the ride height stayed the same with out changing the front springs. Good luck. Fred.

The brackets for the accessories are different but you can use the same power steering pump and alternator. The linkage for the accelerator is different also.

Just the length of the tube that the fan sits in. the part that sits at the rad. is the exact same size.

The radiator support is not the same for my 70. I was looking for more flow and stuck a radiator for a 454 in my car. When I got home I found the fan shroud was not wide enough to bolt up to the radiator. Although, Ikes 72 with a 350 has the right fan shroud for my new radiator. I look at his shroud and mine and did notice a difference.

The acceleter cable is different. Still available from GM. Easy to install. The BB rad is wider than my SB shroud but still works. I used a 7 blade clucth fan off a big block Mopar and cools the engine OK. With a 160 deg. thermostat it runs a steady 180 deg. When really beating on it, it goes up about 15 deg. but returns quickly. Fred.

• 2 weeks later...

On the Fan Shroud. The section which bolts to the radiator is the same as a chevelle. What you do is pull the staples out of your small block shroud. Get a big block fan shroud for a chevelle and put your extention on that shroud. I used a very small drill bit and very stiff wire to make it look like the original staples. The extentions were the same on the small and big block cars.. Worked great