ENGINE - Loose secondary feed tubes.

Okay buddies, while attempting to rebuild my Q-Jet (7042202) I rolled the float body over to remove the ball bearing and a brass tube fell out. After closer inspection I notice a second one laying in the secondary fuel well. According to my Doug Roe book, they are the secondary feed tubes.

The carb is original and I would very much like to keep it. Is there a way to press the tubes back in since they are supposed to be permanent? I ended up buying a new rebuilt Q-Jet but the numbers indicate it is a 1975 carb (7045213). If all else fails, I guess I can use the airhorn from the 7045213 to rebuild the 7042202.

Another question: is the 7045213 okay for a 350 automatic? I noticed an extra vacuum tube from the throttle body but left the cap on.

I had that same problem when I rebuilt my Q-jet. I had to take it to a mechanic buddy of mine because I couldn't get the idle to come down (whole other story). Anyway, he opened it up to look at my work (everything was okay [sorry to brag, but I was proud {it was my first carb rebuild}]) and he said that he just put a rag over the end of those tubes and gave then a good tap with a rubber mallet to seat them. Obviously, you don't want to bend them or anything, but a gentle-but-firm tap or two should do it.

Take a small awl and make a couple light dimples in the tubes up at the top. Then gently tap them in or you can use a thin

coat of loctite also. I pulled mine out when I rebuilt mine anyway. I cross drilled them.

If you plan on drilling them leave them out.

They are easier to drill when out.

Hope you get it running agian.

Tommy, I assume you mean to dimple from the inside?! I'm guessing so it doesn't restrict the fuel flow and obviously for a tighter fit. I saw in the Roe book about the cross drilling you were talking about. That is to improve the transition from primary to secondary metering, right? I'm glad to hear that the carb is salvagable; I was looking forward to getting the rebuilding experience. I will attempt the fine tuning in the book with my old one someday after I understand it all better.

Thanks for your help.

------------------

Adam

[This message has been edited by 72Munnte (edited 03-23-2001).]