1970 Grille Question

I need some help from someone who can tell me about the 1970 Monte Carlo Grille. I have been searching for an NOS or a "close to perfect" grille for months. I am buying all kinds of grilles off of eBay...searching for the right one. I know that the outer most surface of the grille is chrome. What about the little half inch squares (which are less than a half inch deep). When these grilles were produced, did the chrome go all of the way back into the squares, or was just the leading edge chrome? Were the insides of the sqares like a brushed chrome? I have a nice grille here, but some of the small squares seemed to have been polished...and some haven't been. With a Dremmel tool, I can polish each dull square back to a shinny chrome finish, but, is this correct? I am wondering if this one was rechromed at one time? I have another '70 grille that I refinished. I (very tightly) taped up the front and painted it from the back with primer, then ralley wheel paint. It actually turned out pretty good since the tape covered the leading edge, which of course is chrome. The inside of the sqares turned out as a nice even gray finish. What was correct for 1970? Trying to find a grille that is straight with good chrome...and nice unpitted, non-discolored little squares has been tough. And...I'm not sleeping at night!!!! Help! Thanks in advance. Steve

http://home.swbell.net/pdqchevy/monte_nn4.html

I have a NOS grille, the whole grille was chromed first. Then from the back side , the center is painted silver. You maybe able to find a very good used grille, NOS stuff isn't always perfect, my grille has a few rough spots in the front of it.

If you find one, I hope your sittting down when they tell you the price. I've seen them for up to $800, although I didn't pay that much for mine.