How hard is it to install a shift kit??

how hard is it to install a shift kit in a TH350, what all is involved, do i need any special tools? and any recommendations on a brand or type of shift kit?

thanks, nick

I put the B&M shift improver kit in my th350 about 10 years ago and have never had any problems, it has step by step instructions and easy to folow, you will love the 2nd gear chirp after you install it. wink Good luck. cool

fgmcc

You mainly need patience, clean work area, 1 can carb cleaner(cleaning-up), socket set, drill. While you are under the car you should also check the accumulator spring on the passenger side of case, they are prone to break and if it has high miles on it and isn't broke yet replace it anyway. They are CHEAP insurance and the shift kit will eventually play he11 on it if not renewed. That will require a new O-ring on the cap(cover) It is held in by a snap ring, the case will have a small hole on the outside of the groove to push the snap ring out so you can grab it. You will have a really fun trans when done!!

It isn't complicated at all or require special parts. In addition to what was already mentioned, change the filter and pan gasket while you're in there. And, be prepared to get transmission fluid all down your arms unless the trans is already pulled from the vehicle.

I used the B&M basic kit, and it has worked really well. Under hard enough acceleration, it will continue to spin the tires into 2nd (not just chirp) and will chirp 3rd. Pretty cool from an automatic, this is one of those projects that puts a grin on your face once done.

Charlie

• 1 month later...

I too am interested in this. I know that on my lincoln the acumulators went all the time, is there a stronger acumulator or is it ok just to replace with stock? Also, the B&M sift kit only comes in 2 stages, right? Again, on my lincoln, i put in a stage "5" shift kit from bauman engineering, and i love those hits to death, and i dont think i could stand to drive anything less. So, is there a harder hitting shift kit from b/m?