Spacer Comparison - Open, 4-hole and none

mc71454

I checked out the spacer data in there. It was very interesting. I recently added a 1" HVH Super Sucker to my 489. I haven't had an opportunity to test it yet, but I could feel the car pulling harder on the street. What was even more interesting was the the big cubic inch motors and the power that they say they are making. They all seems to make good torque, but that guy who posted the dyno pull data seemed a little short on HP. I know we are talking dual plane intakes, but my small cube 489 made 470hp with a Eddy Performer RPM @ 5,900rpm's with no spacer and a AED 850 carb. I always thought I was lacking in power with my original setup, but maybe I was right in there. My initial goal was to make 500/500 at the wheels, but that never happened with a dual plane. When I switched to a single plane with the same carb and a bigger hydraulic roller cam I got a best of 517hp. Now with a 700 lift solid roller cam and a Dominator carb I've made it to 534hp at the wheels and believe there might be 540 in there with some more tweeking. This has all been done with the same 489 long block I started with at only 10:1 compression. I'm just wondering if my engine is really efficient, or are the big cube guys lacking due to their setup? Some day I'm going to go another .030" on the cyliner bore and up the compression to 11:1 and leave everything else the same and see what I can make. I've turned in a power numbers junkie, but the true test will come at the end of next month when I finally get this beast down the track. A hood, safety equipment, and a stronger rearend are what have been holding me back. It's all going in now along with updated brakes. I'm hoping to get into the 10's, but at this time I'd be ok with very low 11's. Peace.

I checked out the spacer data in there. It was very interesting. I recently added a 1" HVH Super Sucker to my 489. I haven't had an opportunity to test it yet, but I could feel the car pulling harder on the street. What was even more interesting was the the big cubic inch motors and the power that they say they are making. They all seems to make good torque, but that guy who posted the dyno pull data seemed a little short on HP. I know we are talking dual plane intakes, but my small cube 489 made 470hp with a Eddy Performer RPM @ 5,900rpm's with no spacer and a AED 850 carb. I always thought I was lacking in power with my original setup, but maybe I was right in there. My initial goal was to make 500/500 at the wheels, but that never happened with a dual plane. When I switched to a single plane with the same carb and a bigger hydraulic roller cam I got a best of 517hp. Now with a 700 lift solid roller cam and a Dominator carb I've made it to 534hp at the wheels and believe there might be 540 in there with some more tweeking. This has all been done with the same 489 long block I started with at only 10:1 compression. I'm just wondering if my engine is really efficient, or are the big cube guys lacking due to their setup? Some day I'm going to go another .030" on the cyliner bore and up the compression to 11:1 and leave everything else the same and see what I can make. I've turned in a power numbers junkie, but the true test will come at the end of next month when I finally get this beast down the track. A hood, safety equipment, and a stronger rearend are what have been holding me back. It's all going in now along with updated brakes. I'm hoping to get into the 10's, but at this time I'd be ok with very low 11's. Peace.

Hi there 680..

I think the dyno pull data you are referring to is the one in the link on Team Chevelle. if it is, that's my motor and my dyno pulls. Yes you are correct it is a bit short on HP. Using old 049 iron heads and a 226 @.050 duration hyd flat tappet, it is a bit short. Purpose built motor and drivetrain combination designed specifically to run in a 12.00 index street legal class. I will also be using a 2800 converter to have a softer hit at launch as well. 3.42 gears and 28" tires to boot. For the quickest ET I would normally use 3800 10" converter.

The HVH spacer work really well and I anticipate using the one I have when I shoot for that 9.99 time slip in my Monte..

Gotta go for now...Talk to you later

I'd say that is pretty impressive numbers with that combo. Now I'm feeling a little humble again after seeing the heads and cam you are using. Maybe with my AFR 315 CNC heads and 700 lift solid roller cam I'm not that efficient. My dyno puls were done with the converter locked up. Without locking the converter up HP is only in the 515-520 range. Converters eat up a lot of power, but some more than others. I haven't tested mine to be 100% sure, but it is suppossed to be a 3,000 stall made by Midwest Converters and is suppossed to be good for 700HP. I've been considering switching to a Yank 3,200 model. Those guys are well known for how strong their converters are and they have a tight range, so an advertised stall of 3,200 will be almost dead on to that. If and when I tear up my 700r4 I'm going to buy a tranny from these guys as well. They sell their trannies under the name of Gear Star. All the hard parts in their level 4 trannies are made in house from 300M steel. They told me to think about their 200r4 level 4 good for over 800HP. It has a higher first gear than the 700r4 and is lighter to boot. If I progress more to a race purpose car I'll switch to a Turbo 400 and call it a day. My local tranny shop I deal with can built me one with 300M input/output shafts that will be good for over 1,000HP for less money than my current 700r4 with all the hardened parts that are in it. Feel free to send me any good info you have about BB setups any time you want. Thanks.