Turbo 400

1SUPER70

Can I replace the shift shaft seal in my 1970 Monte with a turbo 400 without removing the trans? What if it has headers? Please give me your suggestions on replacing this seal.

This seal has no metal in it. You can just reach in with some type of pick and get it out. Be ready to loose some fluid.

• 4 weeks later...

George, well the seal in my 400 Turbo has a metal outside, with the rubber seal being inside the trans. There is no way I can get it out without damage to the shift shaft or the trace where seal sets.

It might help to actually buy one of those seals, or at least look at one at the parts store. That way you can clearly see what you are up against.

George, well the seal in my 400 Turbo has a metal outside, with the rubber seal being inside the trans. There is no way I can get it out without damage to the shift shaft or the trace where seal sets.

Well, they finally decided to add metal to them. I agree with getting a new seal and compare. Another trick I use when necessary is to drive a small pick into the seal metal (or a screwdriver into a larger seal)a little and pry it out. Got many a seal out in this manner. If I was doing it, I know that I could get it out without dammaging anything. I guess that means you can do it too. As long as you have the new seal, you don't care what you do to the old one as long as you get it out and you don't drive anything into the seal seat. The shaft can be removed by dropping the pan. There is a nut on the end holding it in.