200-4R Swap

MC-71

Has anyone installed this OD Tranny on their small block engines. I have one and I'm thinking of doing this. Info would be great to find out I'm instored for.

Carl,

I've got a 200r4 in my '70, its a direct bolt in replacement for a TH350, you can reuse the 350 mount & crossmember, it just has to be moved back several inches, but the mounting holes were already drilled. I used my same 350 driveshaft, but I had to replace the yoke that slides into the transmission due to it having the round balancer on it.

My '70 has the shifter on the column, it connected right back up to the 200R4 & after some adjustments, all gears were selectable.

The TV cable is the most important part of the 200R4 swap, make sure its adjusted correctly. I got the brackets for it from a late 80's Monte. The stud that attaches the cable to the carb is available from Edelbrock.

For the lockup torque converter, aftermaket kits are also available, I used a vacuum switch from Chevy truck & a brake switch to release my lockup.

you might want to check out www.turbobuicks.com & http://www.ptsnctb.com there's alot of information about this transmission & some performance upgrades there.

let me know if you need anything else.

Craig. Thanks for the info. You have always been a great help over the years. How does your Monte run with this combo? What gears are you running? Is your engine a 350? The Monte I'm doing is a plain Jane. I always wanted a Monte for everyday. I bought a 70 & 72 quite a few years ago. Finally working on the 70. It's a 350 crate replacement engine and has 2:73 rear. My Black 71 Monte has been done for 16 years and been holding up very well. Thanks again. If I need help i will e mail you.

Carl,

I'm running a basic 350/300hp with a 278 Crane Cam, I did have 3.73's, but last summer I put the 2.73's back in for better gas mileage. It cruises right along without any problems.