In neutral but not?

I drive a 72 Monte with a 350, 2bbl.. I'm not sure on the tranny, I've yet to check the numbers.

Anyways, earlier today I noticed that the acceleration seemed a bit off.

Leaving work, I pulled out of the parking and it was like my car dropped into neutral.

I made sure I was all the way in drive, but it made no difference. I checked reverse, no go. Same with L1 and L2.

I put it into neutral and pushed myself forward a little bit (I was halfway out of the lot, half way in the road turned up hill) and rolled down the hill a bit.

I tried L1 again and I had some acceleration again. Put it in park and restarted it. From there on it seemed fine, and my acceleration seemed back up to par.

Any ideas?

I agree with Wallaby-

Check your fluid level first. I am not an expert on the GM transmissions, but generally the "D" selection uses a combination of sprags and clutch packs to engage the transmission. I believe that in "L1" the mechanical holding power is done with a brake (overrides the sprag) that requires fluid to be applied. If you do not have enough fluid flow to create the right amount of pressure, the brake will not function correctly.

I had a Chevelle that did something similar, but it only did it when it was cold outside. Not sure of the temp's lately in MO, but this may also have an effect since the viscousity of the fluid is impacted by the colder temp's.

Keep up posted!