speedometer gear dilemma

Hey guys... just wondering how many of you had luck/trouble replacing your speedo (driven) gears in a TH350. I originally had a 37 tooth driven gear, with an 18 tooth drive gear (on the output shaft), and replaced the driven gear with a 38 tooth, as well as adding a 17% gear reducer/converter where the cable screws on. This worked PERFECTLY for about 60 miles, then the speedometer just fell dead. I pulled off the road, and worked again for about 1 mile, then it fell dead again... when I got home, I removed the cable and converter (burning my arm on the exhaust in the process mad ), to find that they both work fine, but the new 38 tooth driven gear now SPINS FREELY in the gear holder. I didn't have time to take it apart further than that, but I will report my findings on here when I do (and I really think I will find a destroyed plastic gear, but I really hope not).

I've had this apart before, and put it back together without incident; is it possible the gears didn't mesh well when I put it back together? But what would explain it working for well over 50 miles of driving? confused

It's not as bad as it could have been... Seems the drive gear slipped forward on the shaft? Where does the clip/pin attach this drive gear to? I need the rear universal replaced anyway, so maybe I should shop around for a transmission shop that can fix both problems for me...

th350-01.jpg

been a while since i was into a T350... If its the same as a 700R4 and i think it is...there would be a small spring clip that holds the plastic gear in place . on a 700 its a flat metal thats bent over double and has a pin bent on one end to fit that hole in the trans tail shaft...the other end has the pin bent up to keep the gear from sliding off .I would be taking the tailshaft housing off to see if the part/parts are laying in there.

mike

• 1 month later...

Last week I took care of this problem, dropped the driveshaft, took the tailshaft housing off, and found/replaced the clip that keeps the drive gear on the tailshaft. I've driven the car twice since putting it back together, and everything seems fine! Thanks for your help!