Monte carlo

Chris shipley

25 minutes ago, Searsman said:

Back in the day , we had a 76 burgundy Monty 350 about 100 horse power. But man was it smooth. I just love the coke body design and really hated to let the car go but had bought a 77 ford pick up as well. 👎🏻 unfortunately one had to go and I’ve regretted that decision ever since.

anyway, later on I started seeing all these 60s 70s muscle cars around. Got an itch to have one of those.. so I tried out a 69 Camaro at a local muscle car dealer. Yuk is all I could say. Liked tri chevys but everyone had those except the 56. Finally came across a 71 first generation Monte Carlo  down in western Ky . Guy hated to part with it , we took a ride in the 71, wife says - if you don’t buy this car you don’t get one .’ Of course I agreed.. turned out it was was 454 SS . First time I drove it snapped our heads back. Couldn’t believe the

power compaired to the 76 we had once before. Bought it, brought it home , and will definitely keep it. A gentleman’s muscle car .. love the car, and the club .. Ron T…

Awesome!!!!

• Thank You! 1

A '70 Monte Carlo was the first new car I bought in July of '70.  I had just graduated from college in late January and started to work for IBM in Kansas City in early February.  We were driving my wife's '67 VW fastback in college but then she went to work at a local hospital while I was out of town in training to be a computer salesman.  When I returned, we needed two cars so I went down to Papas Chevrolet in Kansas City, Mo to get me a new Chevy as a second car. My dad was always a Chevy man and so was I.

The Sales Manager asked me to drive his demo vehicle, an Autumn Gold 1970 Monte Carlo with a white vinyl top, a 402, TH400, Positraction, AC and several power options.  I wasn't looking for a muscle car, just a nice looking and nice riding coupe to tool around my sales territory.  I was super impressed with the elegant styling, smooth, quiet ride and the peppy performance which seemed even better than my dad's '66 Impala 396  with automatic.  Since we had no established credit, starting salaries and some college loans to repay, I had to get a high risk, high interest rate loan but I had to have that Monte.  I absolutely loved the car and did some mild performance mods to it but needed a larger car when our second daughter came along in '74.  Premium gas had just hit 41 cents a gallon so I sold the Monte and bought a new '74 Buick LeSabre - big mistake!

My crazy brother-in-law had owned several big block, 4-speed Chevy's in a row - a '62 Impala 409, a '66 Impala SS 396 and '69 El Camino SS 396 so I always dreamed of owning a big block, 4-speed muscle car.  I had no idea that my dream would come true 40 years later with a '70 Monte Carlo but that was the best of both worlds! In 2010, I had a '70 Monte Carlo factory 402 4-speed shipped from Scranton, PA to my SW Florida winter home where it still resides. A year after that, I picked up a '70 Monte Carlo SS 454 to keep at my other seasonal home and enjoyed it for the next eight years.  Both Montes certainly qualify as muscle cars, but my preference will always be the big block 4-speed!

• Like 7

8 hours ago, MCfan said:

A '70 Monte Carlo was the first new car I bought in July of '70.  I had just graduated from college in late January and started to work for IBM in Kansas City in early February.  We were driving my wife's '67 VW fastback in college but then she went to work at a local hospital while I was out of town in training to be a computer salesman.  When I returned, we needed two cars so I went down to Papas Chevrolet in Kansas City, Mo to get me a new Chevy as a second car. My dad was always a Chevy man and so was I.

The Sales Manager asked me to drive his demo vehicle, an Autumn Gold 1970 Monte Carlo with a white vinyl top, a 402, TH400, Positraction, AC and several power options.  I wasn't looking for a muscle car, just a nice looking and nice riding coupe to tool around my sales territory.  I was super impressed with the elegant styling, smooth, quiet ride and the peppy performance which seemed even better than my dad's '66 Impala 396  with automatic.  Since we had no established credit, starting salaries and some college loans to repay, I had to get a high risk, high interest rate loan but I had to have that Monte.  I absolutely loved the car and did some mild performance mods to it but needed a larger car when our second daughter came along in '74.  Premium gas had just hit 41 cents a gallon so I sold the Monte and bought a new '74 Buick LeSabre - big mistake!

My crazy brother-in-law had owned several big block, 4-speed Chevy's in a row - a '62 Impala 409, a '66 Impala SS 396 and '69 El Camino SS 396 so I always dreamed of owning a big block, 4-speed muscle car.  I had no idea that my dream would come true 40 years later with a '70 Monte Carlo but that was the best of both worlds! In 2010, I had a '70 Monte Carlo factory 402 4-speed shipped from Scranton, PA to my SW Florida winter home where it still resides. A year after that, I picked up a '70 Monte Carlo SS 454 to keep at my other seasonal home and enjoyed it for the next eight years.  Both Montes certainly qualify as muscle cars, but my preference will always be the big block 4-speed!

Very nice 2 cars you have