TH350 Vent Question & Speed-O-Cable Leak

Stick

While pulling my motor and trans I broke the plastic vent on the top of the transmission. It’s broken off flush with casting. My question is how is this installed in the casting? Pressed, screwed etc...? Also, the speedometer cable housing has a small leak where the collar screws onto the trans. I can’t seem to get it tight enough. Is there a fix for this or do I need to replace the cable housing?

------------------

DSCF0023.JPG?dc=4675439667888694783

1972 Custom

Stick’s Monte

There is a very small seal inside that part that the cable screws onto. You can remove that part to get to it. Have catch can under it because you will lose some fluid. That pastic vent is pressed in probably by hand. You may be able to make a hook to reach in and pull it out even if it comes out in pieces.

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by George Lines:
There is a very small seal inside that part that the cable screws onto. You can remove that part to get to it. Have catch can under it because you will lose some fluid. That pastic vent is pressed in probably by hand. You may be able to make a hook to reach in and pull it out even if it comes out in pieces.</font>

George, You hit the nail on the head on both accounts. A $1.54 and 5 minutes later and both are fixed. Thanks a bunch!

• 8 months later...

I haven't driven my '72 M/C in over two months. I noticed yesterday while getting ready to take the car out that it had developed a small transmission fluid leak over the course of two months sitting. The leak appears to be coming from the part that the speedo cable attaches to. It's not leaking from the rear or front seal, fortunately.

Now first question, why would the tranny start to leak without the car running for over two months? The tranny has never leaked before, and there was not leak under the car one month ago. Is it because the car hasn't run and the seal "dried up?" (Note that the tranny is original and has never been touched over the past 32 years except for routine oil changes.)

I'm guessing I need to replace the seal that George suggested in this earlier thread. If so, what is the correct name of this seal? Is it called the Speedometer Pinion seal? This is the only seal I can find that is associated to the speedo. function.

Any help here is appreciated.

Just about any original unmodified trans from back in the day will start to leak from sitting. As I understand it, it is from a seal "drying up" as you say, b/c it actually uses tranny fluid to seal but no tranny fluid is flowing about.

Just add some more fluid, wipe off underneath the car, and drive it for a while and check for more leaks--I doubt there will be any.

I had this problem with my own Monte several times when in college and would leave my Monte at school for the summer.

Will