turbo 400 shifting

71 monte turbo 400 with shifter in drive leaving light, it shifts in 3rd by 28 mph. car has gears of 390s has shift kit some one said take governor of of side rear cut down weights that will make it stay in gear longer ?

You should try a recalibration kit (has different springs for the weights) before you go and cut or shave the weights. It's easier to adjust and if you go too far you can always back up!! also try an adjustable vacuum modulator. They work great.

GOOD LUCK ADJUSTING

I remember vividly doing full throttle runs near my house trying to set the shift points of the trans - probably took 20,000 miles off the life of my Turbo 400...

Anyway, there are basically 2 adjustments:

1) the vacuum modulator: this governs how closely the Part Throttle shifts are stacked together. If you don't have one, get an adjustable vacuum modulator. You can pull the vacuum hose and adjust the part throttle shift points with a small screwdriver. You can set the shifts to be close together or hold each gear a little longer. For my 454, I like the shifts kinda close together, because with the torque there is no need to run longer in each gear. Saves gas too.

2) The governor: Mainly affects full throttle shift points. Here's where you have to be careful. Any small change in the wieghts or springs may have a huge effect on you full throttle shift points. I advise getting the kit also and trying changes in small increments. I remember changing weights, going for a test run and watch in the tach hit 5000, 5500, 6000, 6200 and it still didn't shift! Ok, wrong weights.....

I wish the kit had definate weight/spring combo for a 6000 rpm shift, but it doesn't. You have to play around with combos until you find what you like. Good luck. Buy some extra trans fluid wink

I used the modulator with great success, I'm running 3:55 gears and had the same deal, now I'm swapping a 700R4 in place of the TH400 as well, I put a message in for anyone who has done this before so I don't buy a lot of stuff that won't work or not have what it needs when work begins.