Home network

monte70car

I currently have a home network base for 7 computers, xbox360, wii, and two printers which are hooked to two of the 7 computers. Right now my router is open and anyone close by can use my network. What is the best way to lock the router down so only my stuff can use it? I did upgrade the frimware this morning from version 2.1 to 7 any ideas on where to go from here would be nice.

Allan I was looking at the WEP setting. If I understood it right I need to put one of the 4 key numbers in each of the computers right? or am I over thinking it? My security is enable but it does firewall protection. I'm dealing with a Linksys router. Should I enable the wireless security? since this is what I run everything off of?

If you send me your router brand and model, I will download the booklet, and write up a how to scenerio for you.

You can enable all the do-dads (technical for computer RPO codes), but limiting the amount devices (IP addresses that are dealt out by your dhcp), and enabling the security functions it will keep out the wi-fi leaches.

Kevin

I got it setup for WPA2-personal now. Already put two of the 7 computers back on it. Now the fun part will be the video game system the xbox360 it hardwired to the router is that a matter of going into its settings and added the the password? and I tke it the same for the wii.