200-4R set up

bdk70monte

I am currently running a Turbo 350 trans with 3.73 rear gearand a ZZ4 350 Fast Burn 385 HP motor in my 70 Monte. In an effort to make it more highway driveable, I wanted to go to an overdrive transmission. I recently found a good deal on a 200-4R out of an 85 Monte SS, so I bought it. I know some of you are running this trans, so I just wanted to check and see if you had suggestions as far as what all I should look at upgrading when I get it rebuilt. I will plan to do the usual with a shift kit and things like that. Just wondered what else works well with our cars.

I plan to replace the rear gears down to an original 3.31 posi set up as well.

I would also like to continue to use this trans when I drop the 402 big block that the car originally had in it back into the car. The motor will probably be a fairly stock setup in appreance at least with some possible upgrades that are less conspicuous.

I figure if I get the trans rebuilt to handle up to 450 HP I should be ok, and probably 400-500 ft. lbs. of torque with the big block.

Thanks,

Ben

here is a guy's website, http://www.ptsnctb.com/ that knows what he talking about when it comes to building a 2004R, on his site, top center of the page, click on "Strenghtening the 2004R".