Speedo Stop working

71 MONTE 4 YA

Hey my speedometer just stop working. I took the cable loose from the transmission and turned the cable and the speedo moves. Could this be the gear inside the trans? Can this be changed by just removing the one bolt on the trans. Thanks family. Oh where can I get the gear from also? I haven't taken the gear out yet so I don't know the color of it.

you will need to pull that one bolt (Be ready for it to break) and see what happened.. there is a nylon gear on the output shaft, and one in the housing. either the square drive in the gear stripped out, or it ate the teeth off a gear.

PArts are available online, I'm not sure if a dealer stocks that stuff or not.

This is Where I bought my replacement gears.. way cheaper prices ( I think the gears were used, but came to me in like-new condition) TCI wanted $25 EACH for the gears, I bought both gears from this place for $20. PLUS I ordered the plastic housing (I have a 700r4) and have to have a special housing for certain gear combinations.