Has This Been Done?!

Nick H.

I haven't been around here for a while, I actually completely forgot about the site during my cars' hibernation for the winter months. Now that spring is in sight, I'm starting to get ideas. . .

Anyway, I wanted to know if this idea I had has ever been done. . . I found a '70 Monte roller (original BBC car), in primer, and I'm waiting for a response to see what the guy is asking for it. I picked up a wrecked '94 Z28 Camaro with a low-mileage LT1/T56 REALLY cheap last month, and my mind started thinking LT1/T56 + Monte Carlo = AWESOME Summer DD. I don't really need AC, none of my current vehicles have it, and the powertrain would be somewhat modern, so after all the kinks are worked out, it should be a pretty reliable vehicle.

I know it would be heavy, get crappy gas mileage, and probably take a LOT of work to make it happen, but honestly, I can't really risk taking Dad's Monte out on the roads, it seems like I have a near-death experience. Someone either cuts me off, gets distracted by the Monte and nearly hits it, or people park too close for comfort in parking lots. I'd really like to avoid all of that hassle by making a clone of the car, that could be enjoyed more often, without feelings of guilt if it were to be damaged.

As far as I can tell, I have MOST of what it would take to make the swap work. Engine/Trans are complete, I could make everything out of the Camaro work in a Monte Carlo, but I would need to fabricate engine mounts/crossmember, trans crossmember, have a driveshaft made, new radiator brackets, and the stock mechanical gauges would have to be swapped out for some aftermarket options that will work with the newer engine/trans. Exhaust would also be on the list, but I think the placement of the headers under the car would really make a clean true dual setup based on the stock exhaust VERY easy to accomplish. I'm not looking to break any records with the car, just make something reliable and fun to drive during the summer months.

So, do any of you guys know of anyone who has made this happen before, or have suggestions? It's not etched in stone, I would need to come up with money to buy the roller first (assuming he's not crazy and asking $5k for it as it sits), and accumulate parts to make it happen, but if I can pull it off, I'll need all the help I can get with the logistics. . .

Nick, there are a bunch of websites but here are a few to get you started.

http://www.ls1lt1.com/

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196181

http://ls1tech.com/forums/ ( I know LS1, but alot of similaritites with the install)

http://www.5speedtransmissions.com/6_speed.html

A couple things to keep in mind. If you decide to go with the complete LT1 setup, it will act like a normally asperated motor (gas mileage) unless you hook up ALL the sensors and have the ECU reprogrammed for your application. If you use an auto it takes a little more ECU work than just having the T56. The cost can range from a couple hundred to 800 + depending on things. There is a guy in Oregon that will tune your harnesses (he needs source and destination harness) to all the sensors for around $400. If you use a premade harness, you still have to reprogram the ECU and then thats were the 800+ comes from. The tunnel hump may or may not have to be modified/raised to install the T56, it just depends on the series you get. Another big issue is the motor positioning. You can get the motor mounts that will bolt right up, but they do make adjustable ones that you can move the motor forward or backward depending on the where you want it. The reason is that some have had to modify the firewall to get em in there. This is mostly the AC unit, but if your going no air, then an AC delete panel will work for you and you can use the cheaper mounts.

Read alot and decide where your gonna go.

Kevin

Thanks a lot for the links and info! My plan was to re-pin the PCM from the Camaro to work alone, without input from the BCM or any other computers in the Camaro. I would be using LT1 F-Body headers with the O2 sensor bungs already in place. As far as I can tell, re-pinning and re-tuning the PCM to operate only the engine would be my best bet, it would be more cost-effective, yield better fuel economy than switching to a carb setup or any other option, and I would be able to use more of the stock LT1 parts. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have AC in an LT1/T56 1st gen Monte, but it would cost ridiculous amounts of money to accomplish it, and it's really not that much of a concern, since I live in Michigan.

I'm still waiting for a response from the guy selling the roller. He was more interested in trades than anything, but if I could get him to name a cash price, I'd be in better shape.

I have 2 LT1 cars right now, a '93 Firebird Formula Hardtop with the LT1/700R4 (needs head work, doesn't run very well) and the '94 Camaro Z28 with the LT1/T56 (runs great, but the PO lost control and skidded sideways + backwards into a ditch at 50mph)

So far, the body work to repair the rust damage on the 'bird is gonna run around $300, and the frame work and rocker panel replacement for the Camaro is estimated at $1000 without paint work. I'd rather have a badass old-school muscle car than drive something mediocre that everyone sees daily.

And to be honest, $800 is a VERY attractive price, I was looking to swap a 6 speed in place of the TH350 behind the 468bbc in Dad's Monte, and the cheapest trans I could find (just the trans, nothing else) was going for $1400.