Manual Transmission ID Help!

James G.

Hello guys, I have a 4-speed manual transmission in my 72 Monte and am in the process of trying to ID it correctly. I bought the car last year, and am in the process of restoring and identifying what the car has in it, and I want to do it correctly. I thought it was a Muncie, but for some reason I am now leaning toward a Borg Wagner (possibly T-10). Here are the numbers I have found on the passenger side of the Transmission case stamped right into it:

W.G. DIV

F p C 4

Any help would be greatly appreicated. Thank you!

-James

Hi James...

That is most definitely a Borg Warner transmission...

However, I am having a hard time helping you out with the information that you have posted. There should be more numbers on the tranny as well as on the tailshaft. Can you try and find more numbers?

In the meantime...here is a link to help you out...

Ratios

Also, I found this on another website...this only covers the orignal T-10's...not the later "supers"...

cast iron (1957-61) 3772339 T10-1B

aluminum (1961-62) 3782212 T10-1C

aluminum (1963) 3792694 T10D-1

Based on the numbers that you did post...it looks like maybe a 1964 or a 1974 year? Or...the 1 in the first number could be for 1961? The rest of the top number looks like a partial VIN? Are you sure about the "F" "p" and "C"?

Also...somewhere on the tranny...it should list something like: T10-1C or something very similar...

Do you happen to have a "Chevy by the Numbers" book? I have one...but it is for 1970-1975. I know that the author makes them also for 55-59, 60-64, 65-69. How about taking some pictures for us?

This is the best that I can do at this point. Maybe somebody that has an early GM car can help you out?

OK...I just found another post that has very similar information...

10 ID

The link that they say to go to is busted...but it looks like you might have a Super T10 out of a 80's F body?

Hope this helps you out.

Geez...alright...one more time...and I am done...

Here you go...I just stumbled across this one...as I have been looking off and on for several years for a good site that details the "super" T10's...here it is...

Super T10

Now...I hope that this one REALLY helps you out!

Thanks for the info and links Rodney. I am going to get the car up on a lift this weekend and really look around the whole tranny for any more ID tags or stamps in it. As soon as I find them, I will post them up for you guys to see. I will also try and get the digital camera out and get some pics of the numbers, too. But, in the meantime, I do have a few more questions:

Do I still use regular gear oil to fill the tranny case, and where would I fill it from and how much to put in? Is it like the M20's where there is a fill hole on the side and you just fill it up to the bottom of the hole? Anyone with a Borg Wagner, your help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

-James

Alright, I found more numbers on the transmission that is getting me closer to ID'ing it correctly. here is what I have:

4.17.79-1 (this is the production date I assume)

MLT 7802 (no clue what this means)

1304065903 (the 903 means aluminum case)

W.G. DIV (means it is a Borg Wagner tranny)

So far I know this is a Super T-10 Borg Wagner produced on April 17, 1979 with an aluminum case. I am still looking for the VIN I guess, as I would like to know what vehicle application this came out of and the gear ratios. I have no clue as to the meaning of the "MLT 7802" under the date code, but if anyone does, please let me know, thanks!

-James