X exhaust

FastClass

Anyone running an X exhaust or planning on one?

A nice alternative and under chassie room saver

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php?muffler=ultraflox

A Friend runs one on a full Pro Street El Camino.

Great mellow sound at idle and cruising.

A whole other beast when you hit to go pedal.

Go`s 0 to stupid in half a heart-beat.

Copy%20of%20IM000653.JPG

This is`t it. He doe`t have the wing and has pulled the wheelie bars.

But the bed set-up is very similar just to give you an idea.

I read an article in one of the Chevy mags recently where they dyno'd the same engine with a X and H pipe exhaust. One ran slightly higher peak torque and the other ran slightly higher peak HP. Forget which was which. Bottom line/conclusion, the numbers were close enough that both were good setups. Not worth changing if you had one or the other already in the car. I wanna say, but could be wrong, the H pipe setup had better low end torque. - Dave

there is supposed to be some science with the X pipe to do as Dave suggests but it's nothing you would probably feel on the street. The H pipe has always been used to remove some of the "rummble" that dual exhaust creates in the passenger compartment....in simple terms it's a balancing tube...

The nice thing about Torque Tech is all the hard work is done. Everything is mandrel bent. all you have to do is weld it up, install the hangers, and you are ready to go. Nothing to measure worrying about making mistakes with fabrication. I agree with Dave in that if you already have a functioning H-pipe system and it's the correct diameter for your setup I wouldn't change it, but if you are starting fresh, or you need to replace due to you need bigger pipes it's a much friendlier way to go.

Maybe OT maybe not. But seeing as I started the thread I`ll make the jump.

I`m guessing it helps to equalize back pressure as well.

Seem`s I used to read that some back pressure was necessary. Mainly depending on vehicle usage.

Now it seem`s I am hearing that previous thoughts regarding the need of back pressure are wrong.

That less is better.

I see some beautiful machines here, that I guessing are run on the street as well, running some awesome times.

What is the current thought on back pressure. The need for it.

Believe who you want. All I know is a Torque Tech 3.5" into 3" X-pipe exhaust system helped my 489 pump gas BB make 533HP to the wheels on a chassis dyno at 6,300rpm's(sounding as mean as a snake). If that don't convince you, well I can't help you.