Researching to build my budget 400 sbc

BAMC1369

Ive been gettng a little more serious about doing my 400 sbc rebuild and started to reasearch a little bit. This is my first ever engine build so i have a lot of homework to do. Anyways i figured i would start to get a list going of the kind of things i think i will need. I did a google search and found budget list someone put together so i figure ill start form there, I dont have a lot of funds right now but I think now is the time to start looking for deals on some of the stuff i need.

so this is what i have so far but i know i need to change alot of thing on here to get it where i want if so what do you guys this is this a good starting point?

Stock crank

SCAT 5.7 forged rods

SRP flat top pistons

Speed Pro moly rings

Weld Bond degreed balancer

B&M flexplate

Crane 302H06 cam

Cloyes true roller timing chain

Clevite bearings

Edelbrock 70cc Perf RPM heads - or 64cc?

Edelbrock Perf RPM intake

MSD HEI with rev limiter - or stick with my current distrib

Edelbrock 650 carb

Machining includes; Parallel deck, Torque plate hone, and internal balance with ring gear and balancer.

So that my starting point and i know this will change about 50 times befor i even start working on it due to suggestions from your guys and other items i might now need to replace also whatever i find a deal on might steer me in a diffrent direction. what do you guys think?

I read through that thread so many time i can even count! lol I even almost bought the trickflow heads he took off in this build.

Duh!! I should have looked at your location. You and Justin are in the same state!LOL blush. My bad.

David

• 2 weeks later...

I started out about 10 years ago with racing my monte and my forst motor was a 406" stock crank and rods, trw 12.5 to 1 compression a crane solid flat tappet cam 520 540 lift, gm phase II bowtie heads mild port job by jim terrian form mich, port matched victor jr intake 2" spacer and a 800 cfm holly dp, 1-7/8" headers a 400 turbo and 4500 stall *" converter and 488 gears and it was a beast!!! would run 10.80-90's all day!! I eventualy put the motor in a 78 monza and shot a 250 shot on it till I finally grenaded it!! it ran 9.40's in a 2800 pound monza with 10 tires through mufflers on the hose...

I dont think i had more than 3000 into the whole motor..