Header test fit....

Murphy

Hey guys, continuing with my header install, used set of Hookers (2451's) which look new, their really tight against the stock starter (SBC350). Going to definately use a starter heat shield I found at Jeg's. Was wondering if a thicker gasket on the head was an option or do they even make such an animal?? Plan B, I guess) would be a mini-starter.....

I would go with the mini starter if it was mine. I do not know the number of my hooker headers but I had a mini starter when I bought the car last Aug.

None of the mini-starters I've looked at have the 'R' terminal for power to coil as I still have points-style distributor. Found a note on Summit that mentions adding a diode to coil wire???? I'll be adding HEI soon but I'm in a "pickle, Dick" as entire exhaust is removed, no plugs,etc.

Can the coil operate OK without this connection so I can get the new starter/headers-exhaust installed to do test starts to confirm the shimming of the starter?

Since your eventually going to HEI I would just get the diode to the power wire that goes to the coil Summit suggested and splice it in.

Connect a 3A/400PIV diode in line with the MOTOR SIDE of the solenoid. (Note: This is the terminal on the solenoid which has the cable from inside the starter motor connected to it. It is opposite the BATTERY terminal on the solenoid. The cathode or banded end of the diode goes toward the starter. This allows current to go from the starter to the coil and yet not from the coil to the starter.)Hope this helps.

David