over-boosted power steering

Hey folks- question for those of you with factory power steering. Is your steering "twitchy"? I mean do the front tires respond too easily to even small turns of the steering wheel? Mine does but I just lived with it but I found the cure.

I recently did the front end on my Camaro and while researching it I found out that the stock p/s pumps are really over-boosted. The best cure is to have it aligned with as much caster as possible. And another thing that helps is this little kit that reduces the pressure of the p/s pump. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BRG-899001/

It is really easy to install- I dropped my pressure from 1200 to 700psi and it made a nice difference! I'll get it realigned too with more caster.

I changed my steering box from the factory to that of a 3rd Gen F-body and a closer ratio of 12.7 from the original 16 to 1. That's where I saw my increased sensitivity and much better road feel. I always considered overboost on PS to that of no effort to turn the steering wheel; so older people wouldn't complain about steering effort.

Big change and I can turn a corner with minimal movement of the steering wheel.

That's interesting, I find mine is somewhat twitchy but more importantly unlike rack and pinion, the steering wheel does not have a default tendancy to stay perfectly centered when it comes to those last 10 degrees or so either side of centre so on the highway if steering straight does not have your full attention and you happen to move it a few degrees say while changing a radio channel it is easy to drift into another lane with no feedback from the wheel. Not sure if that is normal and I'd be surprised if it would be corrected by reducing pressure but maybe I'm wrong. I've been debating changing to a dephi close ratio box also, but not sure about that either.

...if steering straight does not have your full attention and you happen to move it a few degrees say while changing a radio channel it is easy to drift into another lane with no feedback from the wheel.

That is a perfect example of they way my Monte was. It has definitely taken "the edge off" of that twitchy feeling. It is much more comfortable to drive- totally worth the $20 and 1/2 hour I spent. It is easy to get at the valve on the Monte.