upshift vacume relay

leelee

Well i got the dash in with one plug in question. According to the production book it is called a upshift vacume relay, the plug is over by the lighter and glove box, Ive looked in all the parts books and there is nothing by that name. Can anyone tell me what kind of relay i get for that? Please help

If your car is a 1972 I believe what you're referring to is a delay relay that is tied into the engine temperature sending unit that holds the car in low gear until the engine is warmed up slightly. If I'm correct, only 1972 cars that were equipped with "CXL" V8s and the six cylinders used that relay. You can see the relay shown on the wiring diagram in the 1972 service manual on page 12-69. It states "EXCEPT MONTE CARLO". So I'm thinking it's not used on you car. On the diagram its signal power comes from the radio plug via a 20g. tan wire.

There may be other members that have better knowledge of that system that can confirm what the plug is for.

Ok, unless i get more info i'll just take it as a regular relay for something. Thank you very much

toppless, i appreciate the response. Oh yeah, it is a 1972