Everything you wanted to know about cam shafts

Monte

There is a very good set of articles in this months Chevy High Performance. It answers most terms, questions, explains some theory and uses some different cams in a dyno test. One of my personal pet peeves is the whole debate about whether a 114lsa cam makes more power than say a 106lsa cam. Because of misleading marketing information from many cam companies, most people still believe that a 114lsa cam will make more power. That is not always the case. I have been in many a debate on cam design and theory on the net trying to explain why the 106lsa will usually make more power. In the article they take 2 identical cams. One with a 114lsa and one with a 106lsa and put them on the dyno. Check out which one makes the most power and torque. Monte

Thanks for the info Monte. I just read the article and with out a doubt it's a "must read." I just wish this article was out BEFORE I bought my first cam LOL Live and learn.

Mac

lol... I'd agree with that... I had always heard, "the biggest mistake a first time cam buyer makes is getting too big of a cam"... so what did I do??? got one too big. nutz

Maybe I should give you a little more info so you can see why I picked this cam It starts with a Holley 750 on a performer rpm intake. I went with the Trick Flow heads( 64cc chambers 195cc runners and 2.02/1.60 valves }

Fair idle, strong midrange power, 2,600 to 6,100 rpm powerband. 2,500 to 3,000 rpm stall converter recommended. Compression ratio: 9.5:1 to 11:1.

228 intake/234 exhaust .320 in./.329 in. .480 in./.494 in. 110

All of this in a 400 small block.

MisQ.......This is my second cam for this car. The cam listed above is the cam that I'm using, The first cam that I had bought was a summit cam. Lobe seperation was 112 or 114 and the lift was 465/488. After bouncing the idea around with the forum and some people that I used to race with they all said the summit cam would work but I would be happier with a different cam. So the Trick Flow track heat cam is what I came up with. Is that the first setup that you have used Monte? Or did the car evolve to that point over time?

Mac

No, its not my first set up. It is # 4. I went from a solid cam with dart heads to a hydro roller with afr heads. I lost time because of the hydro rollers ram profiles. I recovered by putting in a solid roller and then later the t-ram to take advantage of the small runners to increase torque. The combo is very solid now and I am sure its running better than the time in the signature. Monte

Wow I always just read your signature as far as motor specs but the times are pretty impressive. If you were to get your 60ft times down into the high 1.7s and the nitros you'll be dancing in the 10 second area give or take. Have you changed anything over the winter as far as tires and rear suspension go? If so I'd be interested to hear what you've done.

Mac

With a 1.60' I should be around 11.8 or so give or take either way. Add 150 shot a mid 10's are realistic. The rear end set up is still the same. The problems was after 7 years and thousands of launches the posi gave out. That run they said the right rear tire was spinning more that 1/2 way down the track. I have the stock BOP 10 bolt that came in the car with adjustable Edelbrock upper arms and SSM lower arms. The tires are Hoosier Quick Time Pro's. Most of the traction issues are solved with the new posi. One day I need to get it back to the track to see if I finally made it into the 11's or not. Monte