Rack & pinion steering conversion

Has anyone here replaced their montes factory steering with a rack & pinion steering set up? I'm trying to see if I can get a setup out of a newer vehicle but I'm not sure what car/truck to get it out of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gerald, I know one former member successfully installed the Unisteer Rack and Pinion kit for '68 - '72 Chevelles and GM A Bodies in his first gen Monte. The only significant modification to the kit was replacement of the lower section of the steering shaft with a longer section (10 5/8" overall, if I remember correctly). He was very pleased with the results. Another member (not sure of his current status) was also planning to install the same system, but I don't know if he ever got it done.

There are two Unisteer kits to consider; one for big block and one for small block cars. Their Product Codes are: 8010740-01 and 8010750-01, respectively, and they both list for $1,747.00. You can check them out at this link Unisteer Rack and Pinion Kits

Someone else may chime in with a factory swap but I've never heard of one.

Thanks for the info Dennis. Yeah I figured the after market versions would be pretty expensive, I figured with all the creative guys we have here I was hoping someone may have found a setup maybe out of a newer Chevy truck or something along those lines and was able to make it work. I don't mind doing some fab work I figured the rack & pinion would be lighter than the factory steering box along with all the linkage that goes with it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Attempting a swap with a rack and pinion from another car would be a great project. As mentioned, at least one person has installed an aftermarket rack and pinion kit. Others have installed steering gearboxes from mid 80s Monte SS cars, some have installed aftermarket closer ratio gear boxes with notable improvements but I believe no one has done what you propose and I would be very interested in the outcome. The steering is one of the areas where the stock system has a lot of room for improvement.

Pls keep us posted if you go forward with this and good luck.

• 3 months later...