396?

ClassicJJ

I'm thinking of picking this up and building it for my monte. I'm currently running the original stock 350 300hp motor with 230,000 miles on it. My original plans were to put a mild cam in it with upgrades to the intake, carb, ignition, exhaust and cooling (I'm in az). I have a 200 4r backing it with plans to build the 12bolt in the rear to 3:73 posi. Should I stick with the original plans for the 350 or pick this up? I'm a teenager on a budget keep that in mind as well ha. https://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/pts/4427771952.html

Hi James,

If it were me I would pass on this. The seller's description and shape of the components is very vague. It says nothing about the block being checked for cracks and the same goes for the shape of the crank and rods. Based on the description I don't think any parts have been machined. You would still need to buy cylinder heads, intake, main, crank and cam bearings. Pistons in rods thrown in a box is also a red flag.

You could rebuild your current mill on a budget or pick up a crate long block from Pace Performance http://paceperformance.com/c-142529-engi...e-engines.html.

Just some suggestions.

David

James,

I think Dave is correct. I would not consider this engine. I hate seeing a engine in a box like that, you don't even know if it is a matching assembly.

You would have a bunch of parts that need checked and assembled. Rings, bearings, gaskets and a bunch of hard parts including cam, heads, intake and carb.

After you invest in the engine you also have to get brackets, fan shroud, and possibly front springs.

It really starts to add up!

Rebuild your 350!