b&m shifter install tips??

bigscaht

hey guys..ive heard this is a pretty straight forward install...but any tips or suggestions as ive never done this before. I bought a pro rachet b&m shifter and will spend this weekend installing it along with a few other things.....any and all tips are helpful

Scott, what worked best for me was to work top >>>> down.   Put yourself in the driver's seat and let the natural fall of your arm be the placement for the shifter handle.  That determines the shifter bracket mounting points; which then dictates the console placement and the floorboard holes for the shift cable... ensuring that there is no change in angle of the cable from the shift arm through the floor.  Use sweeping curves for the cable... mine forms a full circle around the transmission pan to connect at the shifter shaft.

I used 1 1/2" grade 8 fender washers under the floor-pan and sandwiched a .400" nylon board between the transmission tunnel and the shifter mounting feet, to stiffen the mount.  It turned out rock-solid...  no flex whatsoever, in any direction.

I know you are installing a custom center console...are you gonna work it around the shifter after you install it? Like it was mentioned position the shifter where it is easy to reach. I set mine in place and probably moved it around for an hour till I was satisfied with the location, marked it then proceeded to follow the directions. I have a B&M too but a different model, it was quite easy to install. Also like it was mentioned keep the cable bends minimal. I do remember one part in the instructions that said something like "be sure linkage is connected properly or you will destroy the transmission in one shift"... :o   That scared me and made me triple check everything, in the end all was fine.

I placed my shifter quite far back, I have seen many others put theirs farther forward but mine rest behind the floor hump as you can see in the picture.

ueow.jpg

well guys thanks for all the tips..once i got started working from top to bottom..it wasnt that hard to do..after i sat in the car for almost an hour tryin to find the best most comfortable shifter location. i too ended up placing it towards the end of the trans hump. Yes i read in the instructions that one shift could kill the tranny if installed wrong..scared the hell outta me.. but heres what I came up with..now i jus have to build the center console around this beauty. i also cut the hole in the floor lower to keep the cable at the same angle...i also had to make a stand to keep the shifter level....welded it to the floor...no big deal since the console will hide it20150324_184807_zpsegecnr1a.jpg

20150326_211755_zpsiw9zkznt.jpg

• Like 1