700 R 4 Shifter cable

Leghome

The previous owner of my 72 installed a 700R4 and when I tried to put the floor shift into park I would have really slam it to get the key out of the column cylinder . Well I adjust the rod going to the steering column and nothing else and now the tranny does not go into park. When I loosened the nut/bolt on that rod going tot he column it kind of popped and jumped up the rod about 1/4". So I think I may need to replace the cable from the shifter to the tranny and wondering if anyone knew of an adjustable cable. When I had the engine and tranny out 2 years ago I do not remember the present cable or bracket being adjustable but have not had the energy to crawl under the car for a look see. I hope to be able to take a look tomorrow after I finish re installing the door trim panels.

The car has the shiftworks parts for the 700R4. I ordered all of those parts and when I got into it they were already installed. I will have to crawl under the car in the next day or two after I finish the interior reinstall and see what is going on under there.

Crawled under the 72 this morning and had my wife move the lever. There was an adjustment on the side of the tranny where the cable hooks to. Moved the cable hook up toward the back of the car about 1/4" and works just fine. I had never paid any attention to what the side of the tranny hookup looked like or I may have figgered this out earlier. Now for a test drive after I get the seat belts all bolted up. Thanks for the help and ideas folks it is greatly appreciated.