wire harness diagram

Ok I have a 1972 monte carlo and I'm ready to wire everything up but I'm not sure what wire goes where. I'm running a hei distributor and a one wire alternator so I know there are some wires that I don't even need. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

post-1215-0-98895700-1430670829_thumb.jpg

I know that my one wire on the alternator goes to the battery and the big wire on the starter goes to the battery and I think that my purple wire on the harness goes to the s terminal on the starter but I'm not really sure which wire goes to the positive on the coil. I seen a pink wire on the harness that says resistance wire but I'm not sure if that one goes to the positive on the coil or not since it's hei

there is a ton of info out there on the alternator conversion and it is really quite straightforward...    as for the complete wiring diagram I'm sure some of the electrical gurus will be able to get it to you..I believe once there was a full color laminated sheet  wiring diagram for sale... is this correct/still available??   as for the HEI you would need a non-resistance wire as the hei unit requires a full 12 volts...   i deal with house wiring..as for our cars wiring my hats always off to those members who know the schematics and colors of virtually every wire that was put in at the factory..quite am amazing batch of info for sure!!...

On a '72 V-8, the positive to the coil was brown.  The yellow wire from the starter solenoid provides a full 12v to the coil during starting only.  The resistance wires used were Pink with black,  White with red & black stripes (mostly on straight six), or White with purple and orange stripes. 

To energize your HEI, you can run a 12 or 14 ga copper wire from the 'IGN' terminal on your fuse panel to the 'BATT' terminal on the HEI.  The only down-side going this route is that our 40 year-old cars have poor electrical connections, so we frequently see only 10.5- 11.5v at the ignition switch.  The HEI will perform best with a full 13-14v from the alternator at the battery.

Since you have already located your resistance wire, if it were me, I would use that wire to trip a relay that would then provide the full output of the alternator to your HEI.     Doug

HEI_zps9bwrhdm6.gif