Hood Hinge Spring Question...

I noticed one of my hinges was pulling toward the motor and removed the spring to straigten it out...now I can't seem to get the spring reinstalled frown.gif is there some kinda trick to reinstalling the hood hinge springs? Somebody help!!

------------------

Quote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Which is stronger? Your passion for performance or craving for personal luxury? Whatever your hunger, feast on Monte Carlo...Chevy.com</font>

my70monte.jpg

I hope the pulling issue isn't the hinge going bad. I had the same issue and was babying it, till my new one came in. Unfortunaterly my father tried to close the hood and the hinge bound up and kinked the hood!To get the spring back on , you need the the hood in the full upright position(like those tray tables on planes LOL) then use a very big and heavy screwdriver and brute strength to leverage the spring in place. MAKE SURE YOU COVER THE FENDERS WITH HEAVY CARDBOARD TO PROTECT FROM SLIPPING WITH THE DRIVER! This is how I did it and it works fine!

Good Luck!

Wayne

aka Monteman

That is how I did it. A big screwdriver through the spring eye, then to the hynge hook and pry. Slips right on. The reason these hynges bend is because they need just a little oil on the swivel points.

AND... It's always a good idea to lower the hood slowly from the upright position on these cars whether the hinges are operating smoothly or not. As Wayne mentioned above - his hood ended up getting kinked! frown.gif That also happened years ago to a friend of mine who had a '74 (second generation) Monte Carlo. The long hoods look great, but there's a bit of weight that's leveraged out there when they're open!

Dave

------------------

I'm Just Enjoyin' That Great S-S-Sensation; Diggin' My First G-G-Generation.